Confused about carbohydrate levels -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The label says....e.g. Carbohydrates 52g of which sugar 6g. So if all carbos are limited, do I take notice of the total of Carbohydrate figure or just the ... of which sugar level figure. I read somewhere that diabetics should have no more than 135g of Carbos a day.
Can anyone unconfuse me please?

In the uk, most of Europe and Australia (& other places) look at the number for carbohydrates and ignore the of which sugars bit. It’s potentially useful for insulin users to judge the speed of the carbs and their dosing but for type 2 without insulin best ignored really. They all matter.

In the USA and a few other places (including their labels and recipes) they include fiber in their carb counts (which they call total carbs) so you do need to deduct the fiber to get what we use (and they call net carbs)

As far as how many 130g is an amount often quoted. You need to see this as a starting point and maximum for those of us intending to use diet to great effect in controlling our type 2 - it may need to be lower to fully control it with diet, perhaps a lot lower.

In the uk, most of Europe and Australia (& other places) look at the number for carbohydrates and ignore the of which sugars bit. It’s potentially useful for insulin users to judge the speed of the carbs and their dosing but for type 2 without insulin best ignored really. They all matter.

In the USA and a few other places (including their labels and recipes) they include fiber in their carb counts (which they call total carbs) so you do need to deduct the fiber to get what we use (and they call net carbs)

As far as how many 130g is an amount often quoted. You need to see this as a starting point and maximum for those of us intending to use diet to great effect in controlling our type 2 - it may need to be lower to fully control it with diet, perhaps a lot lower.
Thank you, HSSS.

The label says....e.g. Carbohydrates 52g of which sugar 6g. So if all carbos are limited, do I take notice of the total of Carbohydrate figure or just the ... of which sugar level figure. I read somewhere that diabetics should have no more than 135g of Carbos a day.
Unfortunately total rubbish advice.
An ordinary type 2 should (if being sensible about it) eat only as many gm of carbs as they can cope with and keep their numbers close to normal. For me that is no more than 40gm a day, 10 in the morning and a bit various in the evenings. I do need to stay really quite low as I was left unaware of high glucose levels for at least 10 years before diagnosis. I suspect it broke something important. A test meter is very useful.

On labels it pays to pay attention to what is at the top of the column, the 52gm might be for a pack with 5 servings, or it could be per 100gm - it could make a big difference to the suitability of the contents.

Unfortunately total rubbish advice.
An ordinary type 2 should (if being sensible about it) eat only as many gm of carbs as they can cope with and keep their numbers close to normal. For me that is no more than 40gm a day, 10 in the morning and a bit various in the evenings. I do need to stay really quite low as I was left unaware of high glucose levels for at least 10 years before diagnosis. I suspect it broke something important. A test meter is very useful.

On labels it pays to pay attention to what is at the top of the column, the 52gm might be for a pack with 5 servings, or it could be per 100gm - it could make a big difference to the suitability of the contents.
Hi Drummer, thank you for that. It does seem, from your answer, keeping an eye on carbo levels and that just regular testing after meals might be the only answer.

Nutrition labels will always give 'per 100g' and in some cases portion size, eg per slice for bread. That's why it's a good idea to weigh things so you know how many carbs you're actually eating. Ignore the 'of which sugars' numbers as 100% of the carbs in your portion will convert to glucose once consumed.

As @Drummer has pointed out, no one should be advising us to have 'no more than' as we are all different and some can tolerate more carbs than others. I try and stay under 130g, which is a widely accepted definition of low carb, but will occasionally end up higher (or lower) some days. So far this month I've ended the day as low as 113g and as high as 147g, but I'm more focussed on my averages and March to date is 133g.

The no more than 130g per day is mentioned as a suggested starting point for reducing carbs and is quoted in many places, DUK, NHS diet sheets from a few health authorities.
Looking in The Diabetes weight loss Cookbook, by Caldesi it suggests different amounts that could be suitable for people depending on their circumstances and tolerance to carbs.
Liberal low carb for people slim and active - up to 130g per day, moderate low carb 75-100g as a good starting point and for long term target and strict low carb 50g per day as a therapeutic target for those suffering low energy and cravings.
This seems much more restrictive than many would find easy.
Incidentally I highly recommend that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back