Confused! A couple of questions re Metform & Glucose Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJoBoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good evening all,

I have a couple of questions:-

1) I was prescribed Metformin this morning. I read somewhere that you can't have hypos on this drug. Is that correct? Does anyone know different?

2) I'm in the market for a glucose monitor, (didn't think I'd be saying that a couple of weeks ago!). Any recommendations for most accurate/easiest to use brand? My GP says he will prescribe test strips for me, does that limit my choice of glucose monitor?

Thanks to anyone who replies. 🙂
Jo
x

Hi there jojo im on metformin have been for 8 month I have had no hypoes on them im not to sure and im sure if im wrong someone will correct me but i dont think we get many hypos think thats more type 1s.

R.e glucose meter i can only tell you that my freestlye lite has never let me down once.But if you go get the meter it will be the main one you use and the one your GP will prescribe strips to you for.have you not been offered a meter? I got mine from the nurse the first time i met her.

Last edited:
Hi, I moved your question to the General Messageboard so more people would see it🙂 I don't take metfrmin, but as I understand it, it is not a BG lowering drug that can cause hypos as it works in a different manner (slowing conversion of carbs to glucose in the blood, I believe). As such, you shouldn't have a problem although it's not unheard of.

Good that you are getting a meter. You ought to be able to get strips prescribed for most meters on the market today, so that shouldn't be a worry. People have different preferences, so it might be size, ease of use, features etc. I use an Accu Chek Aviva and Accu Chek Nano, but a lot of people use One-Touch meters. Meters are usually given away free because they want you to use their expensive strips, so have a look around the web for companies like Bayer, Roche etc. and ring them up and ask- tell them you will be testing 2-4 times a day.

hi and welcome to the forum
apparently you dont get hypos on metaforum however as your body gets used to different levels you may experience the symptoms....
re the meter...will your gp prescibe any strips? i got mine free when i saw my dsn for the first time..and have no problems getting more...most companys provide them free ...check with GP as to what they are happy to prescribe
good luck x

So if i was using 3 diffirent meters my gp would prescribe me say 50 a pot for all 3?

So if i was using 3 diffirent meters my gp would prescribe me say 50 a pot for all 3?

They might end up messing up the prescription if you had 3 different types, but in theory I would say yes - you might have one meter at home, one at work and a spare. My two meters bothe use the same strips as they are both Accu Chek ones.

Hi Jojo, when I was on metformin only I had episodes of going between 3 and 4 and could always tell when it was happening, shaking hands and feeling very agitated. It was usually after exercise or if I had done something like heavy lifting.

Best bet with a monitor is ask you local chemist what they recommend i.e. do you need a large screen for seeing etc.

Could the GP's not give you one? I got mine free when first diagnosed or try one of the manufacturers and see if one will give you a free meter - do a search on the internet for them. Use the old if you don't ask you get type of thing x

Good evening all,

1) I was prescribed Metformin this morning. I read somewhere that you can't have hypos on this drug. Is that correct? Does anyone know different?

2) I'm in the market for a glucose monitor, (didn't think I'd be saying that a couple of weeks ago!). Any recommendations for most accurate/easiest to use brand? My GP says he will prescribe test strips for me, does that limit my choice of glucose monitor?

Jo
x
I don't know if you can't but I do know you shouldn't do. If you were on something like Gliclazide as well, you almost certainly would have them, that's why my doctor took me off the things. I haven't had a hypo since.

I have a Freedom Freestyle Lite which I swear by. Just wish my doctor would allow me strips on prescription, I have to buy them myself.

I don't know if you can't but I do know you shouldn't do. If you were on something like Gliclazide as well, you almost certainly would have them, that's why my doctor took me off the things. I haven't had a hypo since.

I have a Freedom Freestyle Lite which I swear by. Just wish my doctor would allow me strips on prescription, I have to buy them myself.

Hi Alison the fact you have to buy them yourself is terrible - can you kick of with them and insist!! x

no, I've not been offered one, infact my GP told me I'd need to buy one! I'm seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow so I'll see if she's feeling more generous.
Thanks!

no, I've not been offered one, infact my GP told me I'd need to buy one! I'm seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow so I'll see if she's feeling more generous.
Thanks!

I think the nurse will have one for you - sales reps usually leave 'samples' for them to give away. You can always change later if you see another you like more.

Hi Alison the fact you have to buy them yourself is terrible - can you kick of with them and insist!! x

It's not so much the Doctor as the PCT. I could probably persuade her, but sadly the NICE Guidelines don't apply in Scotland so half my ammo is gone already. New SIGN Guidelines (Scotland's version of NICE) are due out in March and I'm hoping they'll give me greater support in the fight.

My original surgery in London gave me a meter free, the DSN there just happened to have been given a few by a rep the day before.

Yeah nurses always seem more generous , good luck x

Hello,

Can't comment on the Metaformin as I'm Type 1 and don't take it.

Everyone has their own personal preference regarding meters. I had a few Accu-Chek meters, but my last two have been Lifescan OneTouch ones and I'm currently using the UltraEasy. My brother uses the Optium Xceed and likes it because it can check for blood ketones (again more useful for Type 1's)

@Steff - I was told by my DSN using more than one meter is a bad idea in the same way that you shouldn't weigh yourself using different scales. Each of them will be calibrated slightly differently and have different tolerances (as much as +/- 15%)

NiVZ

...@Steff - I was told by my DSN using more than one meter is a bad idea in the same way that you shouldn't weigh yourself using different scales. Each of them will be calibrated slightly differently and have different tolerances (as much as +/- 15%)

NiVZ

Very good point Nivz🙂

Hello,

Can't comment on the Metaformin as I'm Type 1 and don't take it.

Everyone has their own personal preference regarding meters. I had a few Accu-Chek meters, but my last two have been Lifescan OneTouch ones and I'm currently using the UltraEasy. My brother uses the Optium Xceed and likes it because it can check for blood ketones (again more useful for Type 1's)

@Steff - I was told by my DSN using more than one meter is a bad idea in the same way that you shouldn't weigh yourself using different scales. Each of them will be calibrated slightly differently and have different tolerances (as much as +/- 15%)

NiVZ

I only use one i was just asking as i was surprised that northerner said it should be ok that gp would prescribe strips for all 3 , i have only ever used one nivz x

Thanks!

The diabetes nurses normally have freebie meters to give away but if not call up some of the meter companies. A lot of the time they're not adverse to giving them away, they make their money on the strips so want you to pick their meter!

I've always used one touch meters and have been very happy with them. They do all have different features so I guess it's a case of working out what fits for you, eg wanting a tiny meter, or one that stores lots of info, or maybe range of colours etc...

The diabetes nurses normally have freebie meters to give away but if not call up some of the meter companies. A lot of the time they're not adverse to giving them away, they make their money on the strips so want you to pick their meter!

I've always used one touch meters and have been very happy with them. They do all have different features so I guess it's a case of working out what fits for you, eg wanting a tiny meter, or one that stores lots of info, or maybe range of colours etc...
Cheers Aymes, calling the drug companies seems like a good idea, I'll get right on it first thing tomorrow. x

Good evening all,

Jo
x

Hello

I have been on Metformin for nearly 3 years now and I never been anywhere near as low as "normal" let alone having an hypo. If you can obtain such good control as for there to be even a chance of of hypo on Metformin alone you are fortunate. I think cases of anyone having a hypo while taking Metformin are very rare and probably have other factors involved.

As for a meter I was given one by my GP's so my choice was made for me. I have an Abbot Freestyle Freedom. I don't know how accurate it is but works on the smallest trace of blood. You can't fault Abbott s customer support. They have extensive "Friends for Life" website and can be contacted on a free phone number. They quickly send you free bits and pieces like data cables, replacement batteries, software, record books. I think if the meter breaks down or becomes obsolete they send you a new one for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back