Concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisha66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On the 17th November I was taken off my diabetes medication Metformin 500mg x 2 twice a day as I was undertaking tests for a recurring infection. 3 days later I had a blackout. My tests are still ongoing and I'm due to go to the Blackout Clinic on the 25th January. After a recent blood test I've just had a text message from the doctors advising that my hb1ac and BG levels were too high. Hb1ac was 84 and BG was 14.3. I'm still off my medication and not due a review until 10th January. Please could you give me some advice on reducing my BG levels.

What was your HbA1C when you were first diagnosed?

Was it your diabetes nurse that took you off metformin?

I was first diagnosed in 2016 with hb1ac of 71 on my last review in October it was 60. My doctor took me off the Metformin after consulting with the diabetic nurse. I have also lost over 4 stone since I was diagnosed.

What was your HbA1C when you were first diagnosed?

Was it your diabetes nurse that took you off metformin?

The 10th of January is only next week so not that long then you can start some more medication

Do you have your own BG meter? It may help you keep an eye on things

I was first diagnosed in 2016 my hb1ac was 71. My last review in October hb1ac was 60. My doctor took me off the Metformin after consulting with the diabetic nurse. I've also lost over 4 stone in the last 2 years.

I was first diagnosed in 2016 my hb1ac was 71. My last review in October hb1ac was 60. My doctor took me off the Metformin after consulting with the diabetic nurse. I've also lost over 4 stone in the last 2 years.
Well done on your weight loss. What is your BMI currently? If you have more weight to lose then you could focus on that until you start medication again

Reducing the amount of carbohydrates you eat is probably the most powerful way to reduce BG levels. Certainly more powerful than Metformin. After that, exercise like walking or swimming or cycling if you are able or seated exercised if you have limited mobility.
What sort of things do you typically eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Perhaps we could make some suggestions for lower carb alternatives.

The other option is to go on a low CALORIE crash diet like the Newcastle/Fast 800 diet for 8 -12 weeks, usually using meal replacement shakes to achieve rapid weight loss. This can help to burn off the fatty deposits accumulated in and around the pancreas and liver which can be the cause of Type 2 diabetes. There is something like a 50% success rate for this approach but you need to maintain the weight loss in order to maintain remission.

How long have you been on that dose of Metformin? It's half the maximum dose so possibly scope to increase it given your levels. But that's a conversation to be had at your review. Other meds are also available.

As for advice, it will largely be the same as we all receive from our DNs, fewer carbs & more exercise. That's assuming you're not already on a very low carb diet & can exercise safely given the blackout. Maybe see if you can speak with your DN on the phone, who will know you better than any of us.

Last edited:
I've been on Metformin 2x500mg twice a day since 2016. I follow a LCHF diet. My surgery does not have a dedicated DN and I usually see the nurse practitioner.

I've been on Metformin 2x500mg twice a day since 2016. I follow a LCHF diet. My surgery does not have a dedicated DN and I usually see the nurse practitioner.

If you have been following a LCHF diet since 2016, what is your cholesterol like?
Any other abnormal blood results?
Blood pressure?

If your blood sugar is going up to 28 after LCHF meals then maybe it is an infection pushing them up. Even the 14 you mention is high.

Was there any discussion around your previous HbA1c of 60 & how to reduce it? The NICE guidelines for T2 on meds is 48, but there are other factors to consider, as listed. If you feel your practice isn't adequately supporting you to manage your levels then maybe ask for a referral to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back