Concern at diabetes-related deaths in Sussex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More than 1,400 people a year in Sussex die from complications caused by their diabetes.

The shocking figure was unveiled in a national report looking into the causes of diabetes-related deaths and how they can be avoided.

The National Diabetes Audit for England found the number of deaths could be reduced if sufferers received better NHS care and if their condition was better managed.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9437391.Concern_at_diabetes_related_deaths_in_Sussex/

maybe related to young people care is so rubbish here ??????? and eastbourne i suppose but brighton children services is quite good this was the reasons why i wanted to go there !!!!

I tend not to trust figures like these. Whilst diabetes care is lacking (and increasing) in some areas of the country it is all to easy to blame diabetes. How often have you turned up at the GP's feeling really ill to have your symtoms initially ignored and asked what your BG is? Three friends in recent years have had diabetes as a contributory factor on their death certificates. In two cases it had nothing to do with it. On one it should have said "neglect whist hospital inpatient!"

Plus, most people don't live their entire lives in one county / NHS area. In fact, some people being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes these days were born before the NHS!

Sadly, even when adequate resources are offered, some people don't use their prescribed blood glucose test strips properly to control their condition, while some people with type 2 diabetes don't get any prescribed strips nor the training to use them. Plus, how many people can honestly say they have never failed to attend a clinic appointment (without giving notice)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back