Complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannonodea

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone
Just looking for some advice -
My diabetes was pretty badly controlled the last few years. In the last two weeks it has been much better with my average blood level being 7.2. I started feeling a tingly feeling in my left leg and foot. My diabetic nurse said it is unlikely to be nerve damaged because I’m only 27 and it could just be my body reacting to be lowering my levels so much. Is this true? I have a podiatry appointment booked but I’m feeling very anxious over this.

Welcome @Shannonodea 🙂 Your nurse is right - it could well be your improved control. It’s sensible to get everything checked out anyway, but fingers crossed it’s just a sign of your better control.

Hi and welcome.

Well done for getting your diabetes act together and getting things back under better management. Diabetes is tough mentally because it is relentless so you have done really well to claw things back.

I am sure I have read that neuropathy generally affects both limbs rather than just one but there certainly is a transient neuropathy which occurs when levels have been high for a while and then come down, so if it is genuinely neuropathy, hopefully it will heal itself with prolonged good diabetes management.

Might also be worth getting your vitamin B12 levels checked if they haven't been recently as B12 is important for good nerve health and is easily remedied if low.

I had a nasty reaction to the AZ jab and my feet and lower legs were badly affected. I am really prone to problems in my feet now, and a couple of times now once I got back to something like normal I have had a sort of 'zinging' sensation after doing hot and cold water sprays and massage several times a day. Each time it has been just before improvements in sensation or mobility. It seems to be random if it is one or both feet.
Mind you the last incident was because I was demonstrating a morris jig and put my hand on the go lever of my mobility scooter which then ran over my foot - at 73 I ought to know better......

Well done for getting your diabetes back on track @Shannonodea

Rapid improvements in BG levels (coming down into a healthy range having been at higher levels for a long time) can trigger temporary changes in the nerves as they adapt and adjust.

It used to be called ‘insulin neuritis’ but I think now is referred to as treatment induced neuropathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back