Complacency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_0101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone,

I recently did a blood test, and my hba1c went up (36 to 40). I was initially shocked as I had been keeping up with my exercises when I had the time (1hr+ walks) mainly on the weekends due to work, but I think my self-control has dipped due to getting into the normal ranges. As I adopted the all or nothing mindset where I cut completely everything remoletley unhealthy out of my diet, I guess it would make sense how I slipped back into eating foods I shouldn't be eating or having too much of it.

My medication had been dropped to 1 tablet instead of 2 (morning and evening) so I'm not sure if everything contributed to my hba1c rising, or just plain complacency.

I think it still comes down to me not accepting my diagnosis and learning to live with it. I thought coming off medication would solve my problems, but it could potentially lead to more.

Well if the blood tests you're on about was an HbA1c test - you're still well in the 'non diabetic' range so hardly a thing to panic about. I would have though being as without D people's BG goes up and down, so would their HbA1c - but since without D or a pressing reason to test for D they presumably wouldn't even do such a test, I haven't a clue!

Do you ever use a BG meter even occasionally to just see where you are?

Does it actually matter, as it's been a reminder to you not to be complacent? (- ie not to make assumptions because the word assume makes an ass out of you and me!)

I can relate to this.

My medication was dropped from 2 500mg tablets a day to 1 on Xmas eve when my result (First one since diagnosis) came back as 36. I then started to get paranoid that stopping 1 tablet would see levels rise, so I've been doing a lot of fingerpicking and apart from being in low sixes/high fives and sometimes high 4.0s when at work in the office (Usually fairly stressed, at home in the evenings it's usually low 5s or 4 and in the morning is generally below 5.0) the app I use predicts hba1c of 5.2/5.3% on the results I've got so far.

Reading up on Metformin, I'm not sure it has such a huge effect on BG levels by itself (I've seen a paper that talks about a .9%-1.1% reduction when taking 1000mg and no huge improvement on this with 2000mg). I'm hoping the low-carb diet, weight loss and daily walk is enough to keep it down. I do find that the 'finger pricking' makes me a little anxious.

But it is a bit of a worry, as I feel great now and don't want to go back to how I felt last august (Leg pains that kept me awake - GP thought it was wear and tear!). I've not changed my diet much apart from eating a bit more to maintain weight as I think I've lost enough. I had added a few things like Nairn Oat crackers with cheese/peanut butter as a starter. I know the meals we make don't cause spikes so I'm sticking to them. I'm a little worried that the extra food will ruin things!

I guess as I'm new to this, the whole thing is a bit of a worry to me.

Well if the blood tests you're on about was an HbA1c test - you're still well in the 'non diabetic' range so hardly a thing to panic about. I would have though being as without D people's BG goes up and down, so would their HbA1c - but since without D or a pressing reason to test for D they presumably wouldn't even do such a test, I haven't a clue!

Do you ever use a BG meter even occasionally to just see where you are?

Does it actually matter, as it's been a reminder to you not to be complacent? (- ie not to make assumptions because the word assume makes an ass out of you and me!)
Although I knew it was still in the 'non diabetic' range, I still did a great deal of panicking. I think it was just a surprise to see it, but you are right, it is just a reminder to just take it more seriously.

I usually use a BG meter if I eat something new, and every time I do, it's usually within the normal ranges, so I didn't really think twice, but I think I slowly started to increase my portion size which resulted in this.

I can relate to this.

My medication was dropped from 2 500mg tablets a day to 1 on Xmas eve when my result (First one since diagnosis) came back as 36. I then started to get paranoid that stopping 1 tablet would see levels rise, so I've been doing a lot of fingerpicking and apart from being in low sixes/high fives and sometimes high 4.0s when at work in the office (Usually fairly stressed, at home in the evenings it's usually low 5s or 4 and in the morning is generally below 5.0) the app I use predicts hba1c of 5.2/5.3% on the results I've got so far.

Reading up on Metformin, I'm not sure it has such a huge effect on BG levels by itself (I've seen a paper that talks about a .9%-1.1% reduction when taking 1000mg and no huge improvement on this with 2000mg). I'm hoping the low-carb diet, weight loss and daily walk is enough to keep it down. I do find that the 'finger pricking' makes me a little anxious.

But it is a bit of a worry, as I feel great now and don't want to go back to how I felt last august (Leg pains that kept me awake - GP thought it was wear and tear!). I've not changed my diet much apart from eating a bit more to maintain weight as I think I've lost enough. I had added a few things like Nairn Oat crackers with cheese/peanut butter as a starter. I know the meals we make don't cause spikes so I'm sticking to them. I'm a little worried that the extra food will ruin things!

I guess as I'm new to this, the whole thing is a bit of a worry to me.
I can relate to the anxiety of 'finger pricking'.

I was initially doing the low-carb diet which got me to 36, then I think I slowly started to revert back into my old habits and portion sizes. I am glad I am still within the normal ranges, but it is a reminder to me that this has to remain as a lifestyle and not just a way to get off meditation.

I didn't know that about metformin, that is nice to know, thanks.

I initially had leg pains too, but my GP didn't really look into it as it wasn't affecting me too much, but it worried me.

My doctor told me it was weight related diabetes which led me to believe, regardless of what I eat (within reason), I can keep the diabetes under control as long as I do regular exercise and lose weight. I haven't gone as far as to eat fast food, but I would make things in the oven and just increase my exercises. It was going well, until I started to test boundaries a bit, but I have learnt my lesson.
I think it all comes down to not having a good diet or meal plan to follow, I have just been reducing my portions and just filling my plate with more veg.

I am also new hence the panic I felt when I received the test results.

..... and what were the leg pains about?
I initially thought it was cellulitis as I was told a sign could be dark small circles on your legs which I had, but my GP wrote it off as a rash. The pain slowly went so I forgot about it, but from time to time, I still feel some pain in my legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back