Comparing continuous glucose monitors (CGM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeladalton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have used a freestyle libre 2 for 2 weeks now. It was a trial from my diabetic nurse. I am now considering purchasing a CGM but after researching a lot i am still unsure which is the best. I am type 2 diabetic with no hypo awareness. My local NHS don't prescribe CGMs for this issue. I have been looking at freestyle libre 2 and GlucoRx aidex. I like the idea of the GlucoRx aidex being on your abdomen and also budget wise it is cheaper. I just wondered if anyone could give me their thoughts about the pros and cons of different CGMs. Thank you

The gluco i think is less accurate, but may be ok for monitoring patterns etc...you say you have no hypo awareness, so i presume you are on meds that can cause hypos? If hypos are an issue i would go for the more accurate libre, or possible dexcom 1

I have used a freestyle libre 2 for 2 weeks now. It was a trial from my diabetic nurse. I am now considering purchasing a CGM but after researching a lot i am still unsure which is the best. I am type 2 diabetic with no hypo awareness. My local NHS don't prescribe CGMs for this issue. I have been looking at freestyle libre 2 and GlucoRx aidex. I like the idea of the GlucoRx aidex being on your abdomen and also budget wise it is cheaper. I just wondered if anyone could give me their thoughts about the pros and cons of different CGMs. Thank you

The GlucoRX Aidex isn’t widely used. I think @Jacen017 uses it but others have found it lacking. If you got on ok with the Libre, you could stick with that. You could also try appealing and see if you can get it prescribed.

I wouldn't choose Dexcom One if every other factor is equal. It uses a series of 10 day sensors to which you attach a 90 day transmitter. So once that 90 day transmitter is activated its clock is ticking away.

As a T2 the use of a CGM is as much about finding out what foods suit you and response timings and possibly a bit less about alerts to stop you from going hypo or for checking your carb to insulin ratios. So each L2 is an independent 14 day CGM that you can wear continuously 365 days a year in 2 week blocks OR wear periodically for 2 weeks at a time with intervals entirely of your choosing. Those intervals will provide some financial respite if you are self-funding. Dex One and L2 are effectively the same price per day - but if you don't have 9 x 10 day sensors continuously then you would be wasting the relatively high transmitter cost.

The relative accuracy of either L2 or Dex One is less important. Its the trend analysis and BG responses after 2 hrs that are most help; not whether your interstitial BG was truly 7.x rather than actual 5.x or 9.x. Try not to get mesmerised by exact nos; none of the devices are as accurate as the decimal point might imply!

Try not to get mesmerised by exact nos; none of the devices are as accurate as the decimal point might imply!
Similarly for test strips: the accuracy is good enough but don't believe the implied precision. And with CGMs the accuracy may well not even be good enough. (Almost all of us have the occasional sensor that's just wrong.)

As a T2 the use of a CGM is as much about finding out what foods suit you and response timings and possibly a bit less about alerts to stop you from going hypo or for checking your carb to insulin ratios.

Angela has been taking insulin, metformin, and dapagliflozin, and has only fairly recently struggled with impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. I think the insulin therapy has been paused.

It may be a little while before it becomes clear if her hypo warning signs are returning - so I think the alerts feel quite important at the moment in terms of staying above 4.0 to aid chances of recovering warning signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back