Comments please on my basal test - afternoon basal test

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I did my morning basal test

I was going to do my afternoon basal test today but will have to do it tomorrow instead of today because my lunchtime test was at 9.1 so above my target level of 5 - 8 mmol

I might have to abandon this test tomorrow because I'm full of a cold

It’s difficult to comment on the basal test since you didn’t do it! I understand why though and hope you’re feeling better tomorrow.

Okay, was just that the title asked for comments on the basal test. Didn’t want you to feel ignored but there was nothing to comment on

Okay, was just that the title asked for comments on the basal test. Didn’t want you to feel ignored but there was nothing to comment on
Thanks @Lucyr

Even though I've done the morning (skipping breakfast) basal test is it ok to leave this test for a couple of days until I'm better or am I best to start again by doing another morning test followed by afternoon.....?

Well get over your cold first - so I think I'd leave it at least a week - and then start again!

Well get over your cold first - so I think I'd leave it at least a week - and then start again!
Thanks @trophywench

When I do start again what I'm wanting to do is to
not do it all on the same day
and only miss one meal in any day
- overnight basal test I will start 4 - 5 hours after my tea and test during the night until breakfast time the next morning then have my breakfast, lunch and tea
- morning basal test I will skip breakfast and test until lunchtime then have lunch and tea but I'm not sure what time to start this test
- afternoon basal test I will have breakfast then leave it for 4 hours before I start the test and will skip lunch and test until teatime then have tea
- evening basal test I will have breakfast and lunch then leave it for 4 hours before the test

I've found this on google but when they say about target does it mean my own personal target range which is 5mmol - 8mmol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-134233_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211123-134233_Drive.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Well missing one meal in any day has always been the way I have ever been told to do it - if you go without food or proper drinks for much longer there is no way anyone's BG will behave the same as it would on a normal day when they do normal things.

The sensible thing is to just aim for a 'Target' BG smack in the middle of your range, hence 6.5 (ish) but not necessarily precisely 6.5.

Thanks @trophywench

When I do start again what I'm wanting to do is to
not do it all on the same day
and only miss one meal in any day
- overnight basal test I will start 4 - 5 hours after my tea and test during the night until breakfast time the next morning then have my breakfast, lunch and tea
- morning basal test I will skip breakfast and test until lunchtime then have lunch and tea but I'm not sure what time to start this test
- afternoon basal test I will have breakfast then leave it for 4 hours before I start the test and will skip lunch and test until teatime then have tea
- evening basal test I will have breakfast and lunch then leave it for 4 hours before the test

I've found this on google but when they say about target does it mean my own personal target range which is 5mmol - 8mmol
The attachment does seem to be referring to people who use a pump but may well still apply in your case but wise to check before going with it.
I think you would be better to find the most practical way of doing the test for you and stick to the one method rather than look at lots of different approaches and swap between different ways. Then you will get some consistent data to base any adjustments you might need to make.
It sounds a tricky thing to do so I'm glad not to have to do it but from what I read getting your basal right seems fundamental to getting things more stable for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back