coming up to 7 months since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It is 7 months now since being diagnosed as T2 and i'm expecting to get my appointment through next month for my 2nd HbA1c diabetic review. I have tried to keep to the NICE recommended guidelines of BS levels 4 - 7 before meals and 8.5 or below 2 hour post-meal (with the odd blip now and again depending what i've had to eat) but i was wondering how do i find out the statistics on staying complication free sticking to these levels? my levels have been in the 5's mostly pre-meals but never after meals. I would really like to be able to stay off meds but wonder sometimes whether going on meds is inevitable, however well controlled you are to start with.

Hi Carina, your numbers sound pretty good. It is possible to stay off meds for a good long time, it certainly sounds as thoe you are doing the right things. I was talking to a lady yesterday who was diagnosed about 5 or 6 years ago who is not on meds.

Unfortunately diabetes is prgoressive, so at some point in the future you are likely to get medication of some kind. The best way forward is to talk to your team about all the options and see what advice they can offer.

The better control you have, the less likely you are to get complications. We get lots of checks, so in the event anything happens, it will be caught early enough to do something about it.

Watch these forums as I'm sure someone else will be along with other ideas and suggestions too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back