Coming to terms with the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I should have put this in my other neurology posts but it has taken me time to process the information.
It appears that the eye movements problems that were confirmed in recent tests could be caused by either problems with the vestibular system or damage to the brain stem.
Mine is caused by damage to the brain stem.
The neurologist confirmed that the tests showed that my vestibular system is absolutely fine. Hence the MRI to see if it can show anymore information about the damage to the brain stem.
Nothing more I can do about it now so in between lots of sleeping etc I’m going to focus on enjoying the lead up to my Birthday and then my birthday. It will just be me and Mark but he is making everything really special for me.

Oh, Amanda - I’m so sorry to hear that. I don’t know what to say. I hope the MRI shows something that can be improved or something not too bad.

You’re doing absolutely the right thing focussing on your birthday. How lovely that Mark is working to make it extra-nice for you. I hope you have a wonderful day. XX

Well, the brain stem is where eye movement signals come from, but that needn’t be a problem in the brain stem, because, put simply, the direction of those signals from the brain stem is controlled and inhibited by different regions of the brain.

Hence the MRI of the brain.

My PLS originates in the brain, so the signals are corrupted before they ever get down as far as the legs, I just work on local spinal feedback loops, so my preferred positions are vertical, sitting, or horizontal. As vividly demonstrated by Billy Connolly in his act, alcohol plays havoc with brain stem control, so don’t drink too much celebrating your birthday, when I wish you a superb time without eye problems🙂

Thank you Inga and Mike for replying and for the birthday wishes.
Thank you for the explanation Mike. I will be careful with the alcohol for my birthday 🙂

Thinking of you and you know where I am.

Hope your birthday weekend/week (!!) goes brilliantly. x
Thank you Flutterby. Definitely going to try to make it a Birthday week!!!! xx

Sorry to hear of the issues Amanda, but hope that the MRI will help come up with a plan.

Enjoy your birthday, and why limit it to one week!!!

I am so sorry to read your post :( I think it is a brilliant idea to focus on your birthday. I am so glad that it is going to be made special. I want to send you a big hug. Take care. 🙂

@AJLang it’s so typical of you to focus on the positive things in life when faced with the not-so-positive. Enjoy your birthday / week / month...you deserve a break!

Ah @AJLang - what hard news for you. Glad you and Mark are focussing on your birthday celebrations.

Every good wish for forthcoming scans, assessments etc.

@AJLang it’s so typical of you to focus on the positive things in life when faced with the not-so-positive. Enjoy your birthday / week / month...you deserve a break!
Thank you very much Bloden. Have to make the most of a Birthday. I’ve had a brilliant week and I’m focusing on the fun parts of it xx

Ah @AJLang - what hard news for you. Glad you and Mark are focussing on your birthday celebrations.

Every good wish for forthcoming scans, assessments etc.
Thank you Mike
I am so sorry to read your post :( I think it is a brilliant idea to focus on your birthday. I am so glad that it is going to be made special. I want to send you a big hug. Take care. 🙂
Thank you very much Happydog and a very big hug to you for everything you’re going through xx

Sorry to hear of the issues Amanda, but hope that the MRI will help come up with a plan.

Enjoy your birthday, and why limit it to one week!!!
Thank you SB2015. Now I wonder how I can persuade Mark to make the celebrations last longer than one week …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back