Coming off pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicxleClarksxn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am converting back to insulin pens from the pump as I am going on holiday for a week. I also use the smart guard guardian 4 sensor. Do I need to do anything with my pump once I take it off? Or can I just leave it alone and it will be okay until I return to using it? TIA

Hi @NicxleClarksxn I am just wondering what has prompted you to choose to come off your pump during your holiday. I have travelled using Smartguard without problems, but I know it does mean taking more ‘stuff’ with you than when on MDI. I certainly find holidays a lot easier when in Smartguard as it tends to sort out the wobbly levels due to unusual foods and unknown carbs.

If you come off your pump have a look at info in manual (Pp224 -226) about storing your pump. You need to remove the battery I think. When you start again you will need the pump to run in manual for 72 hours before going back into Smartguard.

Depending upon how your pump is powered, you may want to take your batteries out if you can. Otherwise it may alert frequently.
Last time I came off my pump I kept forgetting to take my basal and ended up setting an alarm on my phone to remind me.
Like @SB2015 i prefer to keep my pump with me on holiday because I find it easier to spend less time thinking about it. However, if you have a Medtronic and intend to spend time in the pool, I realise it will get in the way.

Hi @NicxleClarksxn I am just wondering what has prompted you to choose to come off your pump during your holiday. I have travelled using Smartguard without problems, but I know it does mean taking more ‘stuff’ with you than when on MDI. I certainly find holidays a lot easier when in Smartguard as it tends to sort out the wobbly levels due to unusual foods and unknown carbs.

If you come off your pump have a look at info in manual (Pp224 -226) about storing your pump. You need to remove the battery I think. When you start again you will need the pump to run in manual for 72 hours before going back into Smartguard.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I’ve been on holiday recently with the pump and found it more troubling wearing it with bikinis. As much as this shouldn’t be an issue, I also felt very self conscious as people kept staring at me and on three occasions had people approach me about it, which is fair enough but I just don’t have it in me for it this time round due to recent family grief and dealing with a car crash also my brain doesn’t have the space for it lol. I’ll definitely look in the manual and follow rules for the smart guard! I have tried to contact my diabetes team a couple of weeks ago but have been met with a voicemail and no returned calls

Depending upon how your pump is powered, you may want to take your batteries out if you can. Otherwise it may alert frequently.
Last time I came off my pump I kept forgetting to take my basal and ended up setting an alarm on my phone to remind me.
Like @SB2015 i prefer to keep my pump with me on holiday because I find it easier to spend less time thinking about it. However, if you have a Medtronic and intend to spend time in the pool, I realise it will get in the way.
Hi thank you for your message! This is my fear forgetting my basal but I have set an alarm along with my fiancé so I’m hoping this will keep me right! I will be taking my pump with me and have sought after a letter for both injection and pump from my GP. I’ve been on holiday recently with the pump but found the time before when on holiday with injections it worked more in my favour.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I’ve been on holiday recently with the pump and found it more troubling wearing it with bikinis. As much as this shouldn’t be an issue, I also felt very self conscious as people kept staring at me and on three occasions had people approach me about it, which is fair enough but I just don’t have it in me for it this time round due to recent family grief and dealing with a car crash also my brain doesn’t have the space for it lol. I’ll definitely look in the manual and follow rules for the smart guard! I have tried to contact my diabetes team a couple of weeks ago but have been met with a voicemail and no returned calls
The most important thing for each of us is to do what suits us best.
it sounds like you have been through a rough time and just need a rest.

If you phone the pump careline in work hours they are VERY helpful and will talk you through what to do both when disconnecting and then when reconnecting.

Dont’t forget to still keep your pump in your hand luggage. I am not sure that it should go through the X-rays applied to hand luggage so you might want to take it in your hand and explain.

Have a good break and keep asking any questions that arise. Nothing is considered silly on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back