Come on DUK recognise your FULL Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

martindt1606

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Just received the e-mail invite for the "Diabetes Tech and You" day on 14 October.

Second Question - what type of Diabetes do you have? ...................Sorry cannot see Type 3c.

If DUK cannot recognise Type 3c how am I supposed to accept the recategorisation having previously described myself (for 12 years) as "no pancreas, insulin dependent, living under Type 1 (DAFNE) rules."

Just received the e-mail invite for the "Diabetes Tech and You" day on 14 October.

Second Question - what type of Diabetes do you have? ...................Sorry cannot see Type 3c.

If DUK cannot recognise Type 3c how am I supposed to accept the recategorisation having previously described myself (for 12 years) as "no pancreas, insulin dependent, living under Type 1 (DAFNE) rules."
Looks like we (3cs) are lumped into the "other type" category, as it did mention secondary diabetes. Rather a large spread of categories as I think it also included LADA and MODY.

I would have thought that it would help the organisers to have a more accurate idea of the diabetes type of those attending.

There is a lot to think about when organising an event. A lot can also go drastically wrong and it does. My role was to make sure the tech worked on the day as the Director of Social Services was not impressed one day when it didn't in-front of a large audience.

Sorry to hear you were frustrated by the email invite you received @martindt1606

I will try to relay your feedback to the organisers.

Last edited:
This rigid definition of diabetes type is a big problem and one reason I resigned from DUK a few years back as LADA wasn't recognised. I had an operation last week and I was asked whether I was T1 or T2. I had to explain that I was unconfirmed LADA, listed as T2 but actually T1 on insulin as my consultant agrees. We need to be a lot less rigid about type and ask how you are being managed e.g. diet, type of meds etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back