colonoscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEDGEROW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I AM A TYPE I DIABETIC WHO IS CURRENTLY AWAITING A COLONOSCOPY, I MUST ADMIT TO BEING QUITE CONCERNED ABOUT THE PREP FOR THIS PROCEDURE, HOW WILL THE TWENTY FOUR HOURS WITHOUT FOOD EFFECT MY DIABETES? WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS PROCEDURE. MANY THANKS

Have you been given any guidance on what you can have? Usually on "bowel prep" you can have some "clear fluids" - when I was a student on a GI ward 20 years ago that included jelly made up with water, hot bovril, and black tea or coffee. I'm not sure if advice has changed on acceptable "foods" for bowel prep but you almost certainly will be able to have something for any hypos caused by basal - actually, that's a point - are you on basal/bolus insulins, mixed insulin or a pump? I would think that mixed would be most difficult to manage on such a restricted diet, the others you could reduce bolus as necessary for the lack of usual carbohydrate intake

Had it done twice, both times only told not to eat anything after 8pm, so fast was 12hrs not 24hrs.

Managed both times ok in regards to bg control, only issue was drinking that laxative to empty bowels, disgusting stuff but you have to take it so they have clear view during procedure.

Told fluids like black tea & water were fine during fast but nothing few hours before going to theatre, procedure is fine & only feels slightly uncomfortable. Good luck.

Nothing coloured to drink.
I can't remember specifics, but things like ribena, and heavily coloured stuff as it can dye your colon.

I’ve had one and awaiting another. You should inform them you’re type 1 and they should do you the first morning appointment. Take your basal as usual, then get a book, some Vaseline, a chair and a soft cushion and lock yourself in the bathroom! The prep is not pleasant and I’m dreading it, but the colonoscopy wasn’t too bad. I drank black tea as I don’t like Bovril etc and lots of water.

It was that long ago I had mine, I bought a jar of zinc & castor oil cream - but anyway, Sudocrem does the trick and as by the end of the prep I was literally passing clear liquid - your backside certainly does get sore from wiping!

Had several and no problem. Only ever had to do 12Hr fasting with low fibre food for the day before. Depending on what insulin regime you're on if you have your basal doses right it shouldn't be a problem. Gluco tabs OK for hypo treatments if dissolved in the mouth according to the leaflet I had.

I've had more colonoscopies than I can count since I developed Ulcerative Colitis 24 years ago. I'm due another one early next year. Never had a problem with either the prep or the procedure. All you have to do is get your basal insulin right so you get a nice steady level, and check your BG regullarly up to the point of going in for the procedure.

If youir BG is going low, Dextro tabs are fine. Jelly Babies aren't. Or GlucoBoost, which is a clear liquid.

Because you are T1, you will always have the first appointment, and if you are lucky the nurses will provide you with a sandwich for breakfast. That used to be routine in Scotland.

My next prep for a colonoscopy will be a trial because of my mobility problems. And now we have only one loo.😳

Basal insulin was my first thought too @mikeyB

Have you run a fasting basal check of the hours you’ll need to manage without food recently (or ever?)

Basal testing is described here if it’s not a technique you have used before

https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back