colonoscopy with diabetestype 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've had several colonoscopies but I'm not a Type 1 - I'm a Type 2.

I'll help if I can!

Best wishes - John

Has anyone had a colonoscopy with diabetes type 1

Yes... you must tell the hospital as soon as possible. Mine on the first occassion had me living for the first 24 hours before the procedure (e.g. 2 days before) on CLEAR soups and black tea/coffee with sugar, plus lucozade.

The day before the procedure it was just lucozade - my problem is this stuff makes me sick, it's vile. (I don't like marmite either! 🙄, I think it's one of those things...). Through this you've dropped bolus to 50% and then I think on the morning of the procedure to nothing - not 100% on that one - they will advise you in a specific booklet.

When I turned up at the day surgery unit they had me down first - a junior doc buggered up inserting the cannula and I have to admit that was the final straw for me - the consultant came around to see the fuss of my being below 2mmol and put two cannulas in, one in each arm and put me on a sliding scale - glucose solution in one arm, insulin in the other - 30 minutes later - looking in good shape and into have the examination.

I'm odd sedation has a delayed effect on me, so it didnt' have any effect indeed they stopped twice because they were laughing at my jokes.

The second time I was admitted into hospital the day before, so the first day was thin diet, clear soups, reduced insulin, then first thing the next morning in to hospital to be attached to the glucose in one arm and insulin in the other.

Watch it, they will tend to insist on testing you regularly, and they use the SAME bleeding finger if you don't stop them!!

That one was fine, I was much more comfortable, only problem was the plumbing when I needed to make a quick dash - the effect of those sachets they give you is very effective! 😱

It all depends on how you can drink lucozade, and how you cope with effective starvation for 48 hours. But do ask them and discuss your concerns with them, generally on day surgery units they want everything in order they have a lot to get through in one day so need to make sure everyone is in good condition before and after their procedures.

Oh, and just so you know, the procedure itself doesn't hurt, a little bloated where they fill you with nitrogen (I think) so don't be frightened if you release some. However, where they straighten your colon out to get around it, sometimes a few days later it can feel like someones kicked you in the stomach. But it soon wears off.

The procedure itself isnt' as bad as it might first appear.

Good luck.

.........Oh, and just so you know, the procedure itself doesn't hurt, a little bloated where they fill you with nitrogen (I think) so don't be frightened if you release some............The procedure itself isnt' as bad as it might first appear........
I agree entirely with that! The preparation is the worst thing over the two days before.

I've had several colonoscospies both with and without sedation and I think that without sedation is by far and away the best way.

Good luck from me too.

John

I agree entirely with that! The preparation is the worst thing over the two days before.

I've had several colonoscospies both with and without sedation and I think that without sedation is by far and away the best way.

Yes, and with no sedation you can drive yourself home too :D Although it's always best to have someone with you, not eating properly for two days and then the procedure can throw you a bit.

I'd also strongly suggest taking some sandwiches with you, some sweets and don't forget your insulin(s), they will sometimes provide a slice of toast or if there are some left a sandwich, but don't bank on it. Always best to play safe.

When our lodger needed a colonoscopy last year, we agreed that during the preparation period (clear fluids only to drink, no food, Picolox to clear the bowels) he should have unlimited access to one toilet, while the rest of the household used the other. That seemed important and appreciated! Not diabetes related, but would affect anyone.

Key point is to talk to the unit carrying out your procedure well ahead of the appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back