Colonoscopy and type 1.

Greentree

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi,

Looking for some advice please. Partner is late onset type one diabetic using insulin. Covid caused his colonoscopy to be cancelled, and now he has an appointment on Thursday at very short notice. Currently waiting for someone from the hospital to advise him regarding diet and insulin usage in preparation for procedure. But I have researched and seen that there are certain foods that should be avoided. Can anyone help with food recommendations please?

Secondly, is there anything I should be looking out for to help? So far I've thought of:

Bepanthen/sudacreme and gentle toilet wipes for after the preparation drink.

Getting lots of glucose tablets in.

Flavoured water and orange squash to drink.

Anything else?

Lastly, do you guys think he will be OK to be left after 24 hours? I have one day emergency leave planned for the day of procedure. Will that be enough?

Sorry for all the questions.

Schrodinger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Foods well jelly or clear soups, nothing that has any bits or piece in there as the bowl needs to be obviously empty.

Read the instructions on the preparation drink CAREFULLY I know a couple who did not, and once the effects of the drink start to hit "the world will just fall out".

As for lots of glucose tablets well the best thing to do is to test more regularly, keep and eye on the bloods is best advice.

Left after 24 hours? dont see why not again just keep an eye on the bloods. Its not a massive thing just depends on how far up the road they go, it can get uncomfortable as they tend to blow wind in to inflate the bowl so they can see better. Just give it back to them as it will escape at some point.

Greentree

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Good idea about the jellies as he's a picky eater! I can't think of any clear soup he will actually eat

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m assuming different trusts do it differently but when I had mine food didn’t come into it.

The day before I was allowed breakfast and after that I was allowed no food just clear liquids.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Spookily enough it’s 5 years to the day since I had my colonoscopy. A chair with a cushion and lots of reading material in the bathroom is my top tip! I penned a wee poem at the time.

I've got a dodgy tummy
I've had it quite a lot.
The doc sent me to hospital
To see what I had got.
The main man give me the once over,
And said, "We need a look".
Got an appointment for tomorrow
Some sachets and a book.
I read the book when I got home,
The words made me aghast,
I couldn't quite believe my eyes,
I've got to bleedin' fast!
Now, those of you who know me,
Know I like my grub.
But I need to be 'empty',
So therein lies the rub.
So think of me tomorrow,
I'm scared, I must confess
To see my innards play the leading role
In a film by the NHS!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Same as Mark - nowt after brekkie and then start drinking the stuff to clear you out, at which point commence applying Sudocreme in and around the orifice concerned. To begin with it will resemble normal No 2 but by the time you finish it is literally, liquid. As it becomes 'looser' - only dab the backside, with 4 or 5 ish squares of toilet roll scrunched up loosely - do not WIPE. Then reapply Sudocreme Repeat and keep repeating.

And yes - because they inflate the bowel, you absolutely do fart after they remove the 'scope, so don't try to hold it in, just do it. Mine was hellishly loud (it seemed to me) and the nurse just said I bet that feels better! and they then wheeled me to a recovery area to a comfy bed where I had a lovely kip - God knows what they'd injected me with before the procedure but I had trouble even staying awake while they were performing.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
if they allow it ask for sedation when you go in to the unit, i made the mistake of not having it and the procedure was too painful so had to be aborted.

sedation is nothing and before you know it they will of finished.

since found out my bowel is stuck together so they can't even operate.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hope these experiences of others who have been through the procedure are helpful @Greentree

Welcome to the forum, and hope everything goes as well as it can.

Lilian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It will help if he can eat a low residue diet for a week beforehand. This means basically foods with little fibre in them and not too much fat. Things like steamed white fish, lightly scrambled eggs, white bread. For the day before and on the day all the advice has already been given. A tin of chicken consome and beef consome make a warm change to water and squash.