Collins Gem Carb Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I can see now why some folks think diabetic chocolate is better. I was looking something up in my carb counter and at the bottom of page 182 the tip is and I quote

'choose sweets and chocolates for diabetics. They contain no sugar and are therfore much lower in carbohydrates'

No mention of the laxative effect of things like sorbitol or xylotol...

Think I'm going to contact them and put Collins Gem straight on the issue!

My message to Collins

The edition with the ISBN 978 0 00 717601 4
published 2004
reprint1098765

I'd like to draw your attention to the tip at the bottom of page 182 which reads:

Choose sweets and chocolates made for diabetics. They contain no sugar and are therefore much lower in carbohydrate.

From experience diabetic sweets do contain less or no sugar, but also tend to have more artificial sweeteners, things like sorbital and xylotol. If eaten in more than small amounts, these sweeteners have a very laxative effect. There are some people who are also allergic to or have an intolerance to artificial sweeteners.

As a diabetic, I am advised that a small amount of ordinary chocolate is better than a large amount of the diabetic variety and I feel people should be made aware of this.

I appreciate there is not much space in pocket sized books to add all of the relevant information, but I feel advising people to buy diabetic products is unsafe as not everyone is aware of the effects artificial sweeteners can have.

With thanks for your time and help, Caroline WIlson

Very well put Caroline. It looks like they were using outdated information, or didn't check their facts. Diabetes UK and most HCPs these days would say not to have 'diabetic' chocolate etc. The only real exception is probably 'diet' drinks as the full sugar varieties would have such a big impact on BG levels, very rapidly.

If they come back to me I will let you know their response. As Collins the publishers is reputable I am hoping they will come back with a positive response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back