Colliers Wood GPs leading the way in fight against diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Colliers Wood GPs are leading the fight against diabetes after a scheme first tested in a local surgery was launched around the country.

The scheme, piloted at the Colliers Wood Surgery, is designed to provide targeted information to patients who do not have the condition under control.

After the successful trial period, the scheme was launched by Diabetes UK, the NHS and private providers.

"It’s great to be able to give patients personalised information empowering them to take control of their condition," said Dr Farooq Ahmed, GP at the surgery in the High Street.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...iabetes_after_nationwide_scheme_tested_there/

Interesting - bit whose GP has the time to write them one? And with surgery nurses like the one someone told us about today - they won't be able to help will they?

I see they say it's already been rolled out.

Where?

I got sent information about the "information prescriptions" last year and my GP mentioned it. Personally I'm gobsmacked that anyone spent money developing the concept and if they dare brandish anything of that sort in my direction they'd better run for cover shortly after. I've only just managed to get the medical folk to stop talking to me like I'm an incompetent five year old, they don't need any further encouragement to treat people like idiots. How about they use some of the hundreds of thousands pounds it took to develop that nonsense into providing training for medical professionals to use their words and discuss treatment plans and issues with their patients. Perhaps they'd all benefit from an NVQ in advice and guidance. The first part of which is identifying the base skill and knowledge of the person you're talking to and not assuming they were raised by a pack of wolves and consequently don't have the capacity to understand what a carbohydrate is when it's explained properly using the actual English language.

I understand what they were trying to do, but they've missed the mark. To say I'm disgusted doesn't do it justice, and I quite seriously considered withdrawing my support from Diabetes UK on that basis 😡

Ps I thought I'd got over it, but apparently not 😱

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who dont understand or maybe are in denial about what we have. I think i could put up with some unuseful to Me information IF it was sensible and of use to other patients.
I would suspect that the people who use this forum are more enlightened than some - and spend lots of time trawling for information and knowledge to make there condition managed well - tho i know just use northeners links lol - quicker and easier than looking myself.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who dont understand or maybe are in denial about what we have. I think i could put up with some unuseful to Me information IF it was sensible and of use to other patients.
I would suspect that the people who use this forum are more enlightened than some - and spend lots of time trawling for information and knowledge to make there condition managed well - tho i know just use northeners links lol - quicker and easier than looking myself.

Normally I'd agree but I seriously doubt these will do the trick, the people who want information should be provided with it in an accessible way by the medical professionals, in my opinion they're trying to fix the problem in the wrong way. I also heartily agree that simple straightforward information is an excellent aim but there's straightforward and then there's patronising people. I actually think that DiabetesUk has quite a patronising angle on a number of things so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Well I personally have never been given 'a PERSONAL target' re diabetes or really anything.

Having said that, most people on forums who give useful answers to questions from others, are aware 'generally' of those targets. For instance we know what 'non-diabetic' BG figures are - or BP or TSH etc - so that's what we all aim for anyway !

Me neither, although to be honest at this point the medical professionals probably couldn't please me, if they gave me a target I'd probably have their heads and when they don't I'll be just as annoyed with them. I may have reached the anger stage 🙄

Let's give the benefit of the doubt. I guess that the vast majority of people getting the advice have type 2 diabetes and that the GPs are providing eg food advice which takes account of religious needs, so not mentioning pork or alcohol to Moslems, but including advice about fasting at Ramadan; giving vegetarian advice to Hindus; giving more emphasis on rice and chapatis than loaf bread and potatoes for people of South Asian heritage. Plus giving advice about suitable exercise opportunities eg if local swimming pools and gyms have women only sessions. Some of the advice may need to be written in languages other than English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back