Cold weather and BG levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, We were off out to the shops this morning, Christmas shopping, so checked my levels before leaving the house and they were 6.2 , walked round to the car and started driving and noticed that I was shivering excessively. My wife asked me how my levels were so I said fine as had just checked them. We got half a mile down the road and my libre alarm went off, so pulled over to check and they had dropped to 3.8.
Some Jelly babies and a biscuit sorted me out , do you think it was going from my house into the freezing weather that caused such a quick drop ? On the plus side , went for a carvery lunch on the way home and had an extra roast potato just in case

It could be the weather, but it could be loads of other things too. Do you enjoy Christmas shopping or do you find it stressful? Were you in a rush to get to the shops? Did you have anything unusual for breakfast or could you have miscounted the carbs? There are many things which can affect blood sugar levels and it’s impossible to account for them all. Sometimes hypos just happen without any obvious explanation. Which is annoying but that’s diabetes for you!

It happens, doubt it was anything to do with weather but who knows.

If 6.2 was libre reading which way was arrow pointing, just curious.

I found the cold seems to be making me lower. Having just got my head round that and got some extra snacks ready, today my blood sugar has been unusually high 🙄 (Even though I hadn’t reduced my insulin).

So yes, it could be the cold @Martin62 but, like everything with diabetes, don’t assume it will happen again and be prepared for blood sugar going either way. It’s also possible the physical stress of a change in temperature was the cause rather than the cold itself. Or it could have been because it’s a Monday - diabetes is fun like that.

I'm thinking the extreme cold weather this last week may have something to do with low readings. Before eating my finger prick reading is usually 5 - 5.8 with occasional 4.8. This last couple weeks it has dropped to 4 - 4.8 with quite a few 3.2 - 3.8. I am T2, not on medication, not changed what I am eating, but feel fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back