Cold sweats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marnie606

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My blood sugar was high (14) and so I asked how I could improve it. I was told to give up carbs totally. I did and my blood sugar was better …. But since then I’ve had cold sweats even though my blood sugar was 6.1, never lower. The sweating is bad, sheets wet in the morning, it’s unbearable. I feel cold to the touch but I’m sweating.

Can anyone please help? I read it’s because my blood sugar is too low but 6.1 isn’t low.

By cutting out carbs completely your body is having to adjust to the much lower glucose levels. Cutting out carbs completely is not a good idea but reducing them to a level your body can tolerate. Many people find that is somewhere between 50 and 130g per day but they will determine that by testing their individual tolerance.
Cutting carbs gradually from what you were having is a better option as otherwise people can get issues with eyes and nerves. There is no need to have NO carbs but make the choices worth it.
Make sure you stay hydrated and give your body time to adjust.
You could establish a testing regime of before you eat and after 2 hours to see what amount of carbs you are OK with, an increase of 2-3mmol/l or no more than 8.5mmol/l after 2 hours is OK.
You could then include some carbs and you may then feel better.

Thank you. I was advised to cut all carbs so I’m grateful to know that I need not do this. I will try to make some sensible adjustment I can cope with. It’s all very scary.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you. I was advised to cut all carbs so I’m grateful to know that I need not do this. I will try to make some sensible adjustment I can cope with. It’s all very scary.

Thanks for your help.
I know somebody else who did just that and became very unwell and lost loads of weight and muscle strength when she didn't even need to.
This link may help you make some sensible choices about a dietary approach. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Thank you so much. I thought I was doing the right thing. This explains lots of things that I’ve been worried about. Really appreciate your help.

Hi. What do you mean by cutting out all carbs. Short or eating just plain meat and fish and eggs all foods have some carbs, even lettuce. This may seem pedantic but it is important to understand that almost every food contains some carbs. The key to eating LOW CARB is to choose wisely which foods you eat and select lower carb options over higher ones. So double cream has less carbs than skimmed milk. Raspberries have less carbs than bananas. Celeriac has less carbs than potato, which is why some people here make celeriac chips or crisps. But these foods still contain carbs.

Anyone telling you not to eat any carbs is talking nonsense.

As @Leadinglights suggests, it is better to reduce your carb intake slowly particularly if you were eating a lot of carbs pre diagnosis. I started by cutting out sugar and sweets and then whittled down the starchy carbs.

It could be an issue other than diabetes causing your sweats. I would imagine a change in hormones would cause it but which hormone would be the question. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back