Cold Remedy's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best ask a pharmacist about your specific situation - that's why there are qualified pharmacists in chemists shops. Any infection, including colds, coughs and flu, tend to raise blood glucose levels. Some cold remedies, particularly powders mixed in hot water, contain sugar, so you may have to allow for that intake. Paracetamol is present in many cold remedies, as well as "straight" paracetamol tablets, so it's important not to overdose.

Thanks Copepod It did cross my mind to ask the pharmacist i get all my scrips from the same chemists and have noticed he checks everything before it is given out.yes there a lot of things that contain sugar and Paracetamol and asprin in different products so it pays to check. Thank again.

I have discussed this with a couple of consultants/GPs in the past. Basically they think most are a waste of money ? expensive for what you get! The main advice is to take paracetamol/aspirin, whichever you prefer, and drink plenty of fluid. Sugar free lozenges may be helpful and some people benefit from some extra Vitamin C. The remedies that ?dry? you up are not liked by some GPs as they can raise your BP so probably best avoided

cold remedies - and thermometers

Hi Donald - glad that helped. I was afraid it would sound too basic and patronising. For speed, cold remedies are good, but if we have any combination of honey, lemon and / or whisky in the house, then I find a mix of these in hot water works for me! Perhaps a couple of paracetamol tablets if I feel hot.

By the way, a bit off the subject, but last week, I came home from work to be asked by our lodger (aged about 24 years, with no pre-existing health problems) if I could lend her a thermometer to take her temperature, as she thought she had a cold. So, I found a thermometer, old type with mercury, and handed it to her. I also pointed out that if she felt hot, then having a paracetamol was the wise move, even without checking temperature first. I asked if she had taken any that day - no; then asked if she had any - she thought so, so I sadi to ask if she found she didn't have any. Next day, she handed back the thermometer saying she thought it was broken. I looked, and discovered that the mercury hadn't been shaken down. As she hadn't said that she'd never used this type of thermometer, I hadn't explained the need to shake the mercury down so it's below 35oC. I know that digital thermometers are available, but as I had several old mercury ones and never take them on aircraft, I don't feel the need to go out and buy something more expensive and bulky, although I would if we had children living in the house. However, it did make me feel old to be completely familiar with old technology that floored a youngster!

Hi Falcon123 thanks as far as i know a few of the remedies only relieve the symptoms of the cold or flu until your body can fight it and yes they are expensive.

Copepod notthing wrong with glass thermometers and you can not beat a hot toddy.

before I diagnosed I just had some lozenges for the sore throat and something to clear the nose. I 'll check with the chemist next time I'am down.

hi 3 weeks ago when i went in Boots for graham cough the pharmacist didnot wanted to give me any thing for graham not only because is diabetic but because in some cough mixture ex Tixylix there is a banned ingredient that it still be sold in uk but not in europe sorry but i can remember the name now so even the sugar free stuff is not completely safe [ the pharmacist was spanish maybe this why he knew about it ]

hi 3 weeks ago when i went in Boots for graham cough the pharmacist didnot wanted to give me any thing for graham not only because is diabetic but because in some cough mixture ex Tixylix there is a banned ingredient that it still be sold in uk but not in europe sorry but i can remember the name now so even the sugar free stuff is not completely safe [ the pharmacist was spanish maybe this why he knew about it ]

I like the idea of a Spanish pharmacist giving advice to an Italian lady in an English pharmacy - how cosmopolitan!🙂

i liked the idea as well because the english employee wanted to do the sale but the pharmacist steped in and was more concern about the health isse rather than the sale so i hope to see him in B oots again [ if you noticed rarelythe pharmacist are english maybe because of the working hours]

i liked the idea as well because the english employee wanted to do the sale but the pharmacist steped in and was more concern about the health isse rather than the sale so i hope to see him in B oots again [ if you noticed rarelythe pharmacist are english maybe because of the working hours]

That's very true - my local chemist has recently had a couple of changes of pharmacist and we have had Indian, French and Malaysian pharmacists!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back