• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Cold Medicines

KAREN1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
HI DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT COLD MEDICINES YOU CAN TAKE IF DIABETIC ON INSULIN? THE OTHER NIGHT I HAD SOME VICKS SINEX FOR A STUFFY NOSE AND FOUND OUT SUGAR LEVEL SEEMED TO DROP. ON READING THE INFO LEAFLET AFTERWARDS IT SAYS NOT TO USE IF DIABETIC BUT DOESN'T SAY WHY I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE READ INFO FIRST BUT I JUST USED IT AS I ALWAYS HAVE DONE IN PAST FORGETING FOR A MO THAT I HAVE ONLY BEEN DIAGNOSED A SHORT WHILE. THANKS:eek:

Hi Karen,

A lot of medication carries the 'Not for diabetics' warning. My DSN said that, in most cases it is just the drug companies trying to cover themselves. The best thing to do is ask your GP or DSN what medicines are OK for you to take - they may come up with something you've never heard of, but it will be safe!

A cold is a virus. These 'remedies' just ease the symptoms. If you have doubt about any medication, your regular pharmacist should be able to help you.

Thank You Northener And Kojack For Your Replies Will Ask Dn And Pharmacy Tommorow

I'd second the suggestion to speak with a pharmacist (not an assistant) - they're the experts in using medicines, including both "over the counter" and prescribed.
But, basically, a virus will run its course whatever you take. In the meantime, concentrate on keeping well hydrated - good excuse for hot honey & lemon drinks, and even with whisky added, balanced by insulin as required - and comfortable temperature, with clothing / heating and paracetamol if required to keep temperature down at normal levels, BUT be wary, as paracetamol in also present in many cold remedies and overdoses (more than 4g in 24 hours for adults) are dangerous and easy to take, if taking a mixture of remedies.

I was told the reason for the warning being on decongestents is that they can rise blood pressure.
A pharmacist told me this a long time a go.
The other meds are full of sugar so you have about 5 carbs/tsp.
Hope that helps.

When I asked for advice I was told most remedies are OK, but it is always sensible to take advice. I'm OK with things like hot lemons for the sore throat as I'm on pills, but often end up going to the doctor a week or so after the rest of the cold has gone just to get something for the cough.

General advice is drink plenty, try to eat as normally as you can, if possible rest when you can and keep taking your medication. If you still feel lousy speak the pharmacist or you doctor.

Back