Cold medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemsley38

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, hope you're all keeping well. I need some information if possible. I seem to have a a blimmin horrible cold on the go and being type 2 and on metformin, I was wondering if any of you will be able to let me know what cold medicines you use? I used to have the day and night nurse capsules (never syrup) but not sure I can? Usually I would ride it out, but this one seems to be particularly nasty. Thank you

I use Vogel Echinaforce drops ,natural herbs it is available on line and in some herbalists
Carol

I would go with your previous remedy, but perhaps ask a pharmacist if there are any contraindications with your Metformin before taking it. I think vitamin C is always beneficial to boost the immune system but a supplement might be preferable to eating oranges or drinking orange juice, so that you are not ingesting sugars from the fruit.

There area no reasons why Day Nurse and Night Nurse capsules shouldn’t be used while on Metformin. Don’t bother with Vit C, but I don’t know about Vogel Echinaforce drops. Depends whether you want herbal or standard treatment that doesn’t really work😉

Don’t forget, there is a lot of Covid about so a lateral flow test night be in order if you’ve been vaccinated.

There area no reasons why Day Nurse and Night Nurse capsules shouldn’t be used while on Metformin. Don’t bother with Vit C, but I don’t know about Vogel Echinaforce drops. Depends whether you want herbal or standard treatment that doesn’t really work😉

Don’t forget, there is a lot of Covid about so a lateral flow test night be in order if you’ve been vaccinated.
What can you suggest that does work please ?
Carol

I just use normal cold remedies: paracetamol / ibuprofen, or lemsips (dont take paracetamol on top), hot steamy showers, hot drinks, halls extra strong lozenges.

I swear by warm lemonade (now sugar free) with a pinch of pepper before bed, sweats it out you and sleep with vapour rub on soles of feet + socks when going to bed too. Only a few weeks into T1D but I’ve done this for years and find it helps.

I would go with your previous remedy, but perhaps ask a pharmacist if there are any contraindications with your Metformin before taking it. I think vitamin C is always beneficial to boost the immune system but a supplement might be preferable to eating oranges or drinking orange juice, so that you are not ingesting sugars from the fruit.
Even I gave up orange juice on the advice of my NHS dietician.
I do slip if it's freshly squeezed, but it's monster for calories, and they all come from carbs.
Fruit has fibre, so that is better, but a normal 8oz glass of juice has 25g of carbs, and 100 calories.

Even I gave up orange juice on the advice of my NHS dietician.
I do slip if it's freshly squeezed, but it's monster for calories, and they all come from carbs.
Fruit has fibre, so that is better, but a normal 8oz glass of juice has 25g of carbs, and 100 calories.
That's why I suggested taking Vit C as a supplement rather than directly from the fruit or juice of an orange.... Maybe my post wasn't clear on that.

I take cold and flu capsules (Beechams… Lemsip… own brand…), and have the occasional hot toddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back