Cold hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollypotts

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My hubby has type 2 diabetes and is suffering with very cold hands. Even when he wears gloves outside it doesn’t help.He has lost a lot of weight this year so is feeling the cold more but it’s his hands that are worrying. Has anyone else had this problem if so what do you do to help. Thanks polly

It could be a circulation problem @Pollypotts Has he spoken to his GP about it?

Some gloves are better than others. Good thermal gloves can make a big difference.

It could be a circulation problem @Pollypotts Has he spoken to his GP about it?

Some gloves are better than others. Good thermal gloves can make a big difference.
Thanks for your reply he is seeing the nurse soon so will get him to ask about circulation

Thinsulate gloves are pretty good or you can get heat packs which you heat in the microwave. Does his feet also get cold as that could be a circulation issue.
But do speak to the diabetic nurse or GP

I am t2 and had bariatric surgery and everyone in my pre op class found massive change in how they feel cold following weight loss, glad he has nurse coming up to check other worries.

Sorry to hear your husband‘s hands are feeling the cold @Pollypotts :(

Layering might work I guess? Two thin pairs rather than one thick?

I’m not sure about those little gel handwarners that you ‘click’ and warmth is released? Then boil them to reset. The kids had them for chilly walks to school. Might something like that work?

Hi.

When you say he has lost a lot of weight recently, was this intentional weight loss and did he have to work hard for it or did it happen more easily than he might have expected?
Does he test his BG levels at home and if so what sort of readings is he seeing. I am just wondering if his diabetes is not well controlled and causing the weight loss and also adversely impact his circulation.
It is good that he has an appointment soon so definitely tell him to mention the weight loss and cold hands.

My hubby has type 2 diabetes and is suffering with very cold hands. Even when he wears gloves outside it doesn’t help.He has lost a lot of weight this year so is feeling the cold more but it’s his hands that are worrying. Has anyone else had this problem if so what do you do to help. Thanks polly
My son works in the freezers on night turn, order picking for supermarkets. They are provided with mittens. Apparently mittens are better than gloves with fingers. Its awful isn't it,as a fellow sufferer as someone else said go with layers. I try and make sure my hands are warmed up indoors first. Then put you gloves/ mittens on.

I have Reynauds so my hands have always been cold. On a positive note, they are great for making pastry. However, I don't spend that much time baking.
Mittens are definitely better than gloves for keeping my hands warm but I am much less dextrous in them so I end up taking them off a lot. I often carry USB charged hand warmers. These are more expensive that the ones you heat in the microwave or boiling water but they last a long time (my current ones are about 5 years old) and I can recharge them with a phone "battery pack" when I am out.
If I am going to be outside for a longer time (if I go for a walk), I wear two pairs of gloves (I have a pair of thinsulate ones and a paid of sheepskin ones) and make sure my hands are warm before putting them on.

Thank you all for your replys. His weight loss is due to glucaside injections ( recomended by nurse) and walking. All your ideas are great but even when he is at home his hands are still cold day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back