Cold hands and feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny42

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Have been prescribed metaformin 2 times a day . I don't seem to have any of the problems I have seen on the forum but have very cold hands and feet. Is this common with diabetes or with the medication?

Hi Jenny feeling cold all the time is one symptom of diabetic neuropathy. however a lot of other things can cause the coldness such as hypothyroidism, anaemia, Raynaud's syndrome and poor circulation, something you want to get checked out.

Last edited:
@Ian68 - it is absolutely not a symptom of nephropathy, which I presume must be kidney failure. It can indeed however be a symptom of neuropathy - damage to nerve endings caused by too high blood glucose for a very long time.

It is also a symptom of hypothryroidism - and it's far easier and quicker to have a blood test and see if that's the case (also easy enough to treat if that applies) than discover for how long before being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes Jenny's blood glucose was too high and fathom out tests to discover if you have neuropathy.

Tell your GP Jenny and ask him to check your thyroid function. Not at all unusual to have any type of diabetes and hypothyroidism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back