Cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maz11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi..could anyone give me any advise as how to treat cold feet..every night time my husband who’s type 2 suffers terrible with it and isn’t getting the sleep he needs..I’m type 1 but thankfully I don’t suffer from this problem. Thanks

Improving the circulation in his feet wlll help, so keeping them moving before bed. Can he wear some bedsocks, loose fitting so they trap the warmth.
Maybe an extra cover over the bottom of the bed.
It would be worth him seeing his diabetic nurse to get the circulation in his feet checked. They can use a doppler device to check.

Hi thanks for your reply..he wears thermal socks with a pair underneath already also tried the cover and a water bottle ..the nurse from his surgery did the Doppler on his feet already and just referred him to the podiatrist because she knew something wasn’t right..and all they do is trim his nails and check for hard skin..we will be seeing them tomorrow and I am going to voice my concerns because I feel like they’ve just fobbed him off

Hi thanks for your reply..he wears thermal socks with a pair underneath already also tried the cover and a water bottle ..the nurse from his surgery did the Doppler on his feet already and just referred him to the podiatrist because she knew something wasn’t right..and all they do is trim his nails and check for hard skin..we will be seeing them tomorrow and I am going to voice my concerns because I feel like they’ve just fobbed him off
Has he been checked for peripheral artery disease? https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/peripheral-arterial-disease-pad/

This is a common, under-diagnosed reason for poor circulation. Cold feet is one possible symptom.

(The "classical" symptom is cramping pain in the leg from walking which goes away quickly with rest, but in fact most people with PAD don't report this, partly because they simply don't walk far enough to trigger it.)

Anyway, diabetes is a major risk factor, so it's worth looking into for anybody with leg or foot probs.

It is important to make sure his blood glucose is well managed as that will help to reduce the risks of PAD or neuropathy.
What about the wheat heat packs. I wonder if the socks underneath the thermal socks are stopping them from working properly.
I hope the podiatrist can come up with some suggestions.

Has he been checked for peripheral artery disease? https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/peripheral-arterial-disease-pad/

This is a common, under-diagnosed reason for poor circulation. Cold feet is one possible symptom.

(The "classical" symptom is cramping pain in the leg from walking which goes away quickly with rest, but in fact most people with PAD don't report this, partly because they simply don't walk far enough to trigger it.)

Anyway, diabetes is a major risk factor, so it's worth looking into for anybody with leg or foot probs.
I’ll look into that thanks

It is important to make sure his blood glucose is well managed as that will help to reduce the risks of PAD or neuropathy.
What about the wheat heat packs. I wonder if the socks underneath the thermal socks are stopping them from working properly.
I hope the podiatrist can come up with some suggestions.
I’ll have a look for some of those wheat packs ..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back