cold feet and hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've always had really cold feet and hands ( i meant like ice cold) in the winter.. and in the summer their boiling hot especially my feet at night .. do you think this is a sign of my diabetes? as i had it before being diagnosed? xx

Hi chezpez. I don't think it will be to do with your diabetes if you've always had it, although it is possible that the diabetes could make you more aware of it and I do think there are some ways it must make it worse. For example, last year, which was my first winter with diabetes, I got chilblains on my toes for the first time in all my 50 years which I don't think is a conincidence. However, I was also on a lot of medication, including beta-blockers - and they made me shiver through the summer so it might have been those at fault.

Make sure you get your regular foot checks done, as they will be able to tell you if your peripheral circulation is a problem.

Hi chezpez, its certainly affected me more this year, and once my fingers and toes become cold they take ages to get warm again.

Ive been told if improve my BGs, this could improve.

I have noticed the differences in heat and cold more since diagnosis. Long before the diabetes in cold weather I suffered from ear ache if I let my ears get cold so have had to take measures to keep them warm.

If you are worrie have a chat to your doctor. I know one or two people with circulation problems whose hands and feet suffer terribly.

When it is cold I find twoor three thin pairs of socks or a pair of socks and tights help muy feet and some times a couple of pairs of gloves for my hands. Dutimg the day I also try to keep active and potter about doing odds and ends. I wear bed socks at night, and put on a cardigan or dressing gown as I don't like the weight of too many blankets.

i have my feet checked annually, and they said everything was okay.. but maybe i've become more aware coz of my diabetes.. complications and all xx thanks for all the replies.

I also suffer cold hand and feet! I'm in Germany with the family at the moment and it is sooo cold!!! Must admit getting a bit fed up with everyone saying how hot the house is when I'm feeling so cold. Sitting in the 'hot' lounge at the moment with sheepskin body warmer on and still feeling so cold. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back