Coffee & Blood Sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

indio02

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had a peanut butter and grated carrot soughdough sandwich with some plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast. Did a slowish 5k run had a shower then a half a strongish cafetière coffee before realising I hadn't tested my BG. Did it and got a whopping 13.3! It's been 2.5 hours since eating.

I've eaten sandwiches using this bread before and not got a result above 8. Is the caffeine the issue should I be cutting down stopping coffee?
Thanks

Personally I would go through the same routine a couple or three times and see if the same thing happens before reacting.

But first I'd wash my hands, or rewash them and get a 2nd finger prick test now. It is remarkably easy to handle something that contaminates the meter test, particularly at this time of day.

Agree with @Docb to repeat & test as it might be one off, some say caffeine increases bg others not so, dont find it effects own & like me coffee strong same with tea.

Agree with @Docb to repeat & test as it might be one off, some say caffeine increases bg others not so, dont find it effects own & like me coffee strong same with tea.
Google is saying its a hormonal thing. Is the fact that it isn't actual sugar/carbs a good thing or is the high reading regardless the bad thing.

Also forgot to add that my wake-up BG was 6.2 and I'd normally test before my coffee so this might have been going on for a while. Going forward should I test before or after my coffee (might be giving it up to be honest!)

Just re-tested and its 5. Is it good practice to re-test after a high result and if so how long after should I leave it?

Just re-tested and its 5. Is it good practice to re-test after a high result and if so how long after should I leave it?
If you get something unexpectedly high then wash hands and test straight away. If still high then look carefully at what your routine was, It could be your run has made your liver release glucose so you may need to do some testing of various combinations of the food, the run, the caffeine, if it was back down to 5 I would suspect a dodgy test that was giving 13.

I also would dismiss that high as a dodgy test and not give it any further retro analysis. When I get an unexpected result (highs particularly) I just routinely retest straightaway and proceed from there.

By straightaway I am very concious that if something or someone can interrupt me this will happen! So if I need the retest to confirm my bolus calculation, I'll be pretty resolute and not let that interrupt, just so I can get a pre-bolus underway. Otherwise if I just want to clarify a reading as part of that semi-continuous background monitoring then the retest can take its turn amidst the other potential interruptions!
Google is saying its a hormonal thing. Is the fact that it isn't actual sugar/carbs a good thing or is the high reading regardless the bad thing.
Just a note of caution about Google searches in relation to diabetes: a lot of varied opinions can come from Google and by no means are all of these views correct - but they can be written so that they feel absolutely correct! Diabetes can be a pretty abstract topic! Additionally the effects of caffeine are something that you can get 2 GPs providing different opinions on - so you are in a bit of a minefield anyway. I suspect caffeine could affect any one of us quite differently: different effect as a stimulant, different blood pressure and blood glucose responses, as well as different timings for any responses.
Also forgot to add that my wake-up BG was 6.2 and I'd normally test before my coffee so this might have been going on for a while. Going forward should I test before or after my coffee (might be giving it up to be honest!)
I suggest the best way is to be consistent - either always test before or after coffee. I suggest don't give the coffee up, unless you are fine with that or have proved after a series of repeat tests that coffee is definitely the cause of an adverse reaction. Also coffee can dehydrate you (and I know from living in different European countries) that people frequently routinely drink a good sized glass of water with their coffee. I note you had been for a run and if you are assessing from a series of tests what is going on, do consider having a consistent "wholistic" approach: ie when you've exercised each time, when you've rehydrated after that exercise, similar time intervals etc. I'm not saying do all of this to a stopwatch! But try to recreate a fairly similar pattern of events, to give yourself the best chance of identifying a pattern.

You are now in a marathon and a little time spent exploring your boundaries should put you in a great place for pacing yourself through that marathon. As your body adapts to your different regime, you may find your basic metabolic responses alter, so repeat experiments could be appropriate after a few months. Good luck.

If I get an unexpectedly high or low reading I immediately switch hands and do a second test. If the results are broadly similar I'll just take the average.

If I get an unexpectedly high or low reading I immediately switch hands and do a second test. If the results are broadly similar I'll just take the average.
Ditto...wash hands, dry well, test again making sure there is plenty of blood on the strip

I recently found that doing a slowish run (3k, 20 mins) my BG spiked to 9 but it did come back down rapidly afterwards. My food spikes are usually limited to around 7.

My first 4 cups of coffee will raise my blood sugar (over and above the ~5g of milk per cup), thereafter it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I should add that it never used to affect me until earlier this year.

Shortish high intensity exercise will also generate a post-exercise spike.

Last edited:
Checked after the coffee today.... went to a BBQ yesterday evening and ate a bit more and differently than normal so my waking BG was 8.1. Had a small handful of blueberries & greek yoghurt then a 5k. BG 2 hours after breakfast was 7.5. Then had my normal coffee and having just re-tested it after 2hrs says its 5.9.

Will keep an eye on this but it's increasingly looking like a rogue test result. Thanks leadinglights for the handwashing before tests.... not something I was doing but makes obvious sense!

Checked after the coffee today.... went to a BBQ yesterday evening and ate a bit more and differently than normal so my waking BG was 8.1. Had a small handful of blueberries & greek yoghurt then a 5k. BG 2 hours after breakfast was 7.5. Then had my normal coffee and having just re-tested it after 2hrs says its 5.9.

Will keep an eye on this but it's increasingly looking like a rogue test result. Thanks leadinglights for the handwashing before tests.... not something I was doing but makes obvious sense!
Even the smallest residue of something on your finger can affect it. If you can wash your hands some people wipe away the first drop and test the second. Some hand creams will have things in that would affect the test and even hand soaps so important to rinse well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back