Coffee and t2 diabetes?

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks,I was just wondering if coffee is fine for diabetics,I wouldn't be adding anything to it,I was just thinking tonight it would help my bowel function.I just thought I would ask to see what your thoughts might be.I haven't ever indulged in hot drinks but thought it could also be good for an energy boost through the day,but I'm also not sure if decaf or regular coffee is the thing to have.I would only have a couple of cups.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @belugalad. I'm a T2 and just lurve my coffee complete with caffeine! However, I have now limited it to 4 cups a day as each cup is 25 cals and 2.5g carbs because of the milk content, and I'm anal about keeping my food diary truthful to the nth degree.

Some people can't tolerate caffeine. My partner once OD'd on caffeine after spending 36 hours without sleep mixing a Sisters of Mercy record and ended up in hospital. He can't touch it now as he's developed a complete intolerance to it. He's also cut his hours right back now he's in his 60s!

So I don't know if you'd be bouncing off the walls with caffeine. You could try a couple of cups, but make sure it's during the day so you don't have trouble sleeping at night. I used to have coffee just before I went to bed and slept right through, but I can't do that anymore since I've got older!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Caffeine can spike some folk but others it doesn't effect so only you can tell if you can handle it by checking, I wouldn't worry about carbs in milk, I don't know how much you use but I certainly don't use 20ml in a mug of coffee and 20ml semi skimmed isn't even a full 1g carbs, I only use cows milk in 1 cup a day though, any others it Alpro unsweetened almond milk at 0g carbs xx

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @belugalad. I'm a T2 and just lurve my coffee complete with caffeine! However, I have now limited it to 4 cups a day as each cup is 25 cals and 2.5g carbs because of the milk content, and I'm anal about keeping my food diary truthful to the nth degree.

Some people can't tolerate caffeine. My partner once OD'd on caffeine after spending 36 hours without sleep mixing a Sisters of Mercy record and ended up in hospital. He can't touch it now as he's developed a complete intolerance to it. He's also cut his hours right back now he's in his 60s!

So I don't know if you'd be bouncing off the walls with caffeine. You could try a couple of cups, but make sure it's during the day so you don't have trouble sleeping at night. I used to have coffee just before I went to bed and slept right through, but I can't do that anymore since I've got older!
Hi thanks yes I'm buzzing my head off and should have had it ealier in the day:eek:,I used to take lots of cafeine pills when I was a heavy drinker so I could drink more alcohol,that's in my past now though I'm a model citizen these days:)

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Caffeine can spike some folk but others it doesn't effect so only you can tell if you can handle it by checking, I wouldn't worry about carbs in milk, I don't know how much you use but I certainly don't use 20ml in a mug of coffee and 20ml semi skimmed isn't even a full 1g carbs, I only use cows milk in 1 cup a day though, any others it Alpro unsweetened almond milk at 0g carbs xx
Thanks I suppose a dash of milk would help as it was a bitter taste to me

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get through 3 or 4 mugs of coffee every day but I switched to decaf after reading about some research that suggested that caffeine can interfere with insulin sensitivity.

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get through 3 or 4 mugs of coffee every day but I switched to decaf after reading about some research that suggested that caffeine can interfere with insulin sensitivity.
Hi thanks,with decaf does the coffee seem to have any stimulant effect?

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I drink about 6-8 mugs a day Nescafe Alta Rica, I don't do decaf .
My favourite! I used to drink both Alta Rica and the decaf version, but they stopped making decaf so it's pure caffeine all the way now

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My favourite! I used to drink both Alta Rica and the decaf version, but they stopped making decaf so it's pure caffeine all the way now
I am glad someone else likes it other than Jacob Rees-Mogg! I wondered if he had shares in Nestles when I heard him say it was his favourite.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get the gold bricks of ground coffee from Lidl, and there is coffee being made all day as my husband drinks quite a bit. I have two mugs a day, with meals, and mix in very thick cream. In the morning I add a tiny pinch of sale, as I don't get much salt from my diet, and a larger pinch of cinnamon. Salt is supposed to reduce the bitterness of coffee. If the cream doesn't mix in I tip the coffee into a deep beaker and use the Bamix to froth it up and mix in the cream.

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get the gold bricks of ground coffee from Lidl, and there is coffee being made all day as my husband drinks quite a bit. I have two mugs a day, with meals, and mix in very thick cream. In the morning I add a tiny pinch of sale, as I don't get much salt from my diet, and a larger pinch of cinnamon. Salt is supposed to reduce the bitterness of coffee. If the cream doesn't mix in I tip the coffee into a deep beaker and use the Bamix to froth it up and mix in the cream.
That sounds nice,I'm going to get cream later then,good tip about the salt,as I was suprised at the bitterness of coffee.Did you find that coffee affected your BG readings

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had a coffee at 9am and waited 20 minutes and then did a 2.25 mile walk through my new route that circles a nice park in Warwick,I really enjoyed it walking by the river and having a chat with the dog walkers.I'm going to do it again later :)

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That sounds nice,I'm going to get cream later then,good tip about the salt,as I was suprised at the bitterness of coffee.Did you find that coffee affected your BG readings
I have not actually done experiments to try with or without - but as with gives me under 8mmol/l after including it with a meal I don't think that I need to worry. I have quite a sensitive sense of taste so I buy 'gentle' mellow coffees and sometimes have to dilute the coffee is my husband has made it as he uses heaped measures and I don't so coffee he has made can be a bit overpowering. The coffee grounds from Lidl are good for me, and not expensive, and I get their super thick cream - they do have double cream which is easier to mix if you don't want to use a blender - I have the Bamix on the worktop so it is easy to resolve any problem with mixing.

belugalad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have not actually done experiments to try with or without - but as with gives me under 8mmol/l after including it with a meal I don't think that I need to worry. I have quite a sensitive sense of taste so I buy 'gentle' mellow coffees and sometimes have to dilute the coffee is my husband has made it as he uses heaped measures and I don't so coffee he has made can be a bit overpowering. The coffee grounds from Lidl are good for me, and not expensive, and I get their super thick cream - they do have double cream which is easier to mix if you don't want to use a blender - I have the Bamix on the worktop so it is easy to resolve any problem with mixing.
Thanks,I'm just going to cycle to Lidl now and get some cream and decaff coffee

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I drink about 6-8 mugs a day Nescafe Alta Rica, I don't do decaf .
6 - 8 a day !!! Wow, I don't do decaff either but only have a large Harry Potter mug of Kenco in the morning with breakfast. I very occasionally have another small coffee later, but couldn't drink any more than that!