Coca-Cola to adopt traffic light health labels in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Coca-Cola will adopt government recommendations and introduce traffic light nutrition labels on the front of its cans and bottles.

It had previously rejected the plans.

The colour-coded labels will show nutritional content in each container and percentage guidelines for daily consumption of fat, saturated fat, salt, sugar and calories.

Coca-Cola said that it had changed its stance after "having gauged British consumers' views on the scheme".

The voluntary traffic light labelling programme was introduced in July last year, with all major supermarkets agreeing to the plans.

Coca-Cola and Cadbury had publically rejected the new system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29080078

Coca-Cola will adopt government recommendations and introduce traffic light nutrition labels on the front of its cans and bottles.

It had previously rejected the plans.

The colour-coded labels will show nutritional content in each container and percentage guidelines for daily consumption of fat, saturated fat, salt, sugar and calories.

Coca-Cola said that it had changed its stance after "having gauged British consumers' views on the scheme".

The voluntary traffic light labelling programme was introduced in July last year, with all major supermarkets agreeing to the plans.

Coca-Cola and Cadbury had publically rejected the new system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29080078

Not necessary. Coca Cola cans are already Red

Don't like "FULL FAT" coke(normal coke) Diet coke for me tastes better but I have not got a sweet tooth.

The traffic light system is practically useless for diabetics. Take the example of that programme I watched the other day, where a guy claimed a doughnut had only 5g of sugar - maybe so, but the doughnut had 35g of carbs because of the flour content! 😱

I imagine that in Coke all the carbs are sugar.

Funny how Coca-Cola and Cadbury both rejected the system. Could it possibly be because their products are going to have a lot of red on the label I wonder 🙄

Back in the 70's the British diabetic association printed a book with carb content in the form of a traffic light I still have it somewhere 🙂 So I can't work out why it's touted as new 🙄

I was in Morrisons on Thursday, they were selling Coca Cola Life. It was 2litres I think and had a green label which said low calorie.

I was in Morrisons on Thursday, they were selling Coca Cola Life. It was 2litres I think and had a green label which said low calorie.

There are still 22g of sugar in a can though!

I buy my Coco Cola in Morrisons for 20p for 2 litre.

I like the kind with no:

• phosphoric acid
  • artificial flavourings
  • caffeine
  • sugar
  • colouring
Just look for sparkling water

I agree
Fed up in pubs of the only diet drink being diet cola ( and the ignorant bar person offering pure orange juice as an alternative "diet drink", I tend to drink soda water with ice and lemon- surprisingly pleasant, or occasionally a slimline tonic
I've heard rumours that sparking drinks increase the risk of osteoporosis but don;t know if this is specific to cola drinks, due to phosphoric acid, or due to carbonisation of water- in which case I will be upset as I enjoy my soda water when driving dictates I can;t have beer or wine, and also the odd diet santa

oops, sorry- I'm not sure what diet santa looks like,let alone tastes like- i'm sure everyone realises I meant fanta

That made me chuckle " Diet Santa" I bet they would sell lots of that Abi 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back