Closed loop system approved by Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hate the 'artificial pancreas' phrase but a definite step forward.

Not sure what the implications of "Currently, the average annual cost for the technology is £5,744, higher than Nice considers a cost-effective use of NHS resources." is going to be. Approved but not cost effective?

I thought an artificial pancreas was fully closed loop? This is a T-slim pump with Dexcom sensors, same as my daughter has got, so hybrid closed loop, you still have to input carbs for food so can’t completely just leave it to get on with it. And of course it still has days where it doesn’t work perfectly!

I’m just nitpicking though, if tech like this is going to become available to more people then that’s got to be a step in the right direction. Wonder how easy It will be to actually get though…

Not nitpicking at all @Sally71 The correct terminology is important. It does mention “hybrid closed loop” further down the page, but the phrase “artificial pancreas” is jarring to me. It also implies that this will sort everyone with Type 1 and that’s not the case. I’d hate people to assume this was a cure when it’s not.

I don’t think it will be easy to get, just like with the Libre initially. They’ll limit it and set up numerous hoops.

The NICE document recommends that hybrid closed loop be an option for managing BG levels in T1 for people who are having difficulty in managing their condition and have an average HbA1c of around 64 or more, despite optimal management. Even then there is still agreement to be reached with manufacturers on costs to the NHS.

I can understand why it can’t be given to all T1 due to costs, but it does still seem a step in the right direction. I really would like one day to have something like this as an option so that I can have some relief from the constant mental calculations and decisions needed on MDI.

Well I'm confused now. The Nice page discussing the move is here https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...ing-difficulty-managing-their-type-1-diabetes

At the end of that it says a consultation has begun on the draft recommendations with a link to this https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/indevelopment/gid-ta10845/consultation/html-content

In order to go further and actually comment (at least using the online version) you then need to log in to a Nice account. Question is does that mean that only health professional types are supposed to be responding, or should us average T1s be doing so? As far as I can see it doesn't make clear who they're trying to get feedback from.

Any thoughts?

I must admit having read quite a bit of the committee papers and public committee slides I think I'm not inclined to comment. It looks like they're well aware of the things I'd be saying and will be keeping it in mind.

Interesting and thanks for the link to that tweet from Prof Kar. Will spend some time digging into the background more.

Can anyone explain what a "T slim pump" and "hybrid closed loop" pump mean? I use MDI and often see these terms but don't understand what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back