Closed loop news? Who, how and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atkinsd38

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My wife is 37, diagnosed t1 at 30.

She uses Libre 2 CGM. Today at her check up her hbac1 was 8, up from 7, and kidney function 76 from 90. Are these figures something I should really worry about?

I'm also keen to find out more about the closed loop technology and any updates anyone has on that and who will be able to get it. She currently doesn't use a pump.

Many thanks and best wishes

I'm also keen to find out more about the closed loop technology and any updates anyone has on that and who will be able to get it.
The TA is due to be published imminently, I think. The expectation is that there'll be a 5 year rollout and those eligible will include everyone under 18, everyone pregnant, people with significant hypo problems (with the same wording as that in the pump TA, TA151), and (the largest group, I think) those unable to achieve an HbA1c 58 or under.

But that's all conditional on commercial agreements and things, and it'll happen over 5 years (it'll cover 70% or so of people with T1 so the pump training (which quite often has waiting lists now) will take time).

And (likely) there'll be a review in 3 years, and with any luck things will have been going well and the criteria will be widened. That's what Partha Kar expects, anyway: hybrid closed loops will be standard care within 5 years.

Talk to her clinic, they do have access to some now and I know some people have already been asked if they would like to be first / trail the HCL's when they are live.

It sounds like your wife meets the current pump criteria, and there are closed loop systems available right now - it just depends on which pumps your hospital offers. It would be worth asking/ pushing for this if it is something your wife is keen to do and feels confident with the learning curve that moving to a pump entails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back