Closed loop - how good does my new watch have to be?

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've been pumping for a while now and currently have a Medtronic 780G. After discussion with team I'm now on the list for switching over to closed loop.

I'm also a runner and currently have a Forerunner 35 which is old tech and unable to talk to any other devices. It's also on it's way out as the strap keeps detaching.

Now.... two questions.

First one is whether, in the world of closed loop, there is any benefit in having real time visibility of BS level. Will I be just leaving the tech to sort my levels out (even when exercising) so no need to see what's going on, or will it still be useful to see when level is headed towards hypo so I can have a jelly baby or two.

Second question is really only valid if it's the second option above, but what watch would I need? On the Garmin site the entry level Forerunner is the 165, but I see that you can still buy Forerunner 55s. I'm really not much into it that I need all the bells and whistles - I just use the basic metrics.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Even after 3 years I still would not feel safe just letting the hcl sort me out when running!
My Forerunner 245 gets sent low alerts from my hcl, but then it also gives me any other notifications that my phone does. (I also have always carried my phone on a run anyway)
For the hcl I can set an “exercise” activity about an hour before the exercise starts and it increases the target BS level, though to be quite honest I can’t remember what to! I can set the time for it to maintain that higher target. In general it seems to work well, though I have had to drink my glucose shot whilst out a couple of times lately, after receiving the low alert, which of course I have set about 5.5 just to be sure I can actually get home!

Do you actually need the forerunner model? if you are looking more at basic functionality rather than bells and whistles, then it's more a case of which functions you want the watch to have. You may find that any garmin will work for you.

I use my garmin for health and activity monitoring and recently upgraded mine. I have a forerunner 45s sat on my table atm doing nothing - it works fine, seems neither my friends husband or son are interested.having it.

First one is whether, in the world of closed loop, there is any benefit in having real time visibility of BS level. Will I be just leaving the tech to sort my levels out (even when exercising) so no need to see what's going on, or will it still be useful to see when level is headed towards hypo so I can have a jelly baby or two
Hi Rob
I do find that I completely ignore my pump for large portions of the day. I trust it to make necessary adjustments and to let me know if it wants my attention and/or involvement.
I do make adjustments and use the temp target for exercise classes/activities which seems to work for me. I know that I will get a good warning of any hypos and I react when the alarms go off. I have found that it works for me if I have carbs and tell the pump about those. The HCL adjusts the bolus and the bolus won’t be active for a while and it seems to work out

Do you actually need the forerunner model? if you are looking more at basic functionality rather than bells and whistles, then it's more a case of which functions you want the watch to have. You may find that any garmin will work for you.

I use my garmin for health and activity monitoring and recently upgraded mine. I have a forerunner 45s sat on my table atm doing nothing - it works fine, seems neither my friends husband or son are interested.having it.
Suspect I could probably get by with something other than a Forerunner. Have to say I like the idea of using the watch to provide a training plan (which is an option on most of them these days I think).

I'd definitely go on their site and take a look at the functions of different ones. Think about the core functions you want, and the preferred functions which may not be core. That way it's focused window shopping.

I wanted general activity & wellness, and was interested in any trends in SPO2 and HRV (especially during sleep as I don't sleep well). I picked up a vivoactive. I'm glad I upgraded, I just need to find a new home for my forerunner now.

I played with the connect IQ app on mine - you can make any picture into a watch face. I made these 4 (I'm using the seascape one atm). My next face will be a loony tunes one hehe.Screenshot_vivo_Connect IQ.jpg

Back