Closed loop and Major op

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have picked up a cancellation for a major op on my hand so I am now booked in for mid June.
Short notice and not much time to think about it.

I am always nervous about handing over control of my diabetes. I am hoping that with the closed loop system I can stay on my pump. In my mind it seems better than VRII as the pump will be automatically checking my BG every 5 minutes and making corrections.

Does any one have experience of using a closed loop system during an operation?
I vaguely read a document about the most recent protocols for inpatient care. Does anyone know of it?

I have not had closed loop during operation but have kept my pump on.
I found the person you need to convince is the anaesthetist as it is their role to monitor you during the surgery.
My anaesthetist was unfamiliar with a pump so I had to give him a crash course and give him confidence that he could easily intervene if he felt my levels were too low (most doctors prefer to see levels too high during surgery so that was less of a concern) without fiddling with a piece of machinery he did not know how to use. I explained he could just add glucose to the drip.

Added to clarify - my simplistic definition of "major op" is under general anaesthetic so I would be unable to assist if there was a problem. I have had 2 hour surgery on my face with local anaesthetic and my insulin delivery was not discussed beyond checking my levels at the start.

My experience was pretty much like Helli's. I had an operation on my foot - not what I regard as a major operation - that required a general anaesthetic. I had to explain to the anaesthetist how the pump and CGM worked and, most importantly, what to do if either started making loud noises. He and the surgeon were very interested and I got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that they were a bit relieved that the BG control was taken care of.

Thanks you @helli and @m1dnc
I will have the pre op assessment this week so will raise it then.
I am glad that I have been on this pump long enough to be able to explain it to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back