Clopidogrel causing duodenitis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0liver

Hi all
I've been taking clopidogrel, amlodipine and statins for years now. Over the last year or so I have developed inflammation of the duodenum, confirmed by endoscopy. The consultant wrote "duodenitis caused by clopidogrel" on his summary of findings.

However, since then doctors have declined to go down the route of trying alternatives to clopidogrel, and deny it being the cause. I'm not sure why the resistance to this diagnosis? If my diet was so poor, wouldn't I be getting inflammation in other areas too? Why just the duodenum? My diet seems to have very little effect on the condition.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are the doctors just trying to avoid expensive alternatives, or do they genuinely believe clopidogrel is not the cause? Has anyone suffered the same side effect?

Duodenitis is listed as a side effect of the drug, and why would the consultant performing the endoscopy decide it was the obvious cause? I don't want to end up with an ulcer.

Perhaps I should try a week without clopidogrel or halve the tablets for a trial period?

thanks

Hi all
I've been taking clopidogrel, amlodipine and statins for years now. Over the last year or so I have developed inflammation of the duodenum, confirmed by endoscopy. The consultant wrote "duodenitis caused by clopidogrel" on his summary of findings.

However, since then doctors have declined to go down the route of trying alternatives to clopidogrel, and deny it being the cause. I'm not sure why the resistance to this diagnosis? If my diet was so poor, wouldn't I be getting inflammation in other areas too? Why just the duodenum? My diet seems to have very little effect on the condition.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are the doctors just trying to avoid expensive alternatives, or do they genuinely believe clopidogrel is not the cause? Has anyone suffered the same side effect?

Duodenitis is listed as a side effect of the drug, and why would the consultant performing the endoscopy decide it was the obvious cause? I don't want to end up with an ulcer.

Perhaps I should try a week without clopidogrel or halve the tablets for a trial period?

thanks
a
My other half was on clopidigrel after he had a TIA 5 years ago for quite a while but they then changed it to apixaban with no explanation a couple of years ago. He does have largely asymptomatic Crohn's so maybe it was something to do with that.
He was told not take it for a few days if he was having a proceedure which could cause bleeding but that was obviously under medical instructions.
The other thing that influences inflammation in the digestive system is your gut microflora.

The problem with these anti-clotting drugs, whether aspirin, clopidogrel, or apixaban is that they all work in a similar way, and all have the same side effects. You need to discuss with your doctor - it may be possible to take standard treatment for duodenitis alongside clopidogrel. It shouldn't interfere with benefit of taking clopidogrel, but switching to one of the other anti-clotting drugs won't have any benefit.

Ah I see your point. Well that's very good to know. If swapping to another drug won't change anything, then I am stuck. I'm going to investigate other ways to alleviate the pain, but it really sucks putting up with it constantly and I don't want to end up with an ulcer.

Have they identified the cause of the problem and prescribed any treatment. One cause is the bacterium helicobacter pylori for which antibiotic treatment is often prescribed. The test for that is fairly straightforward. Other things may be gluten intolerance or other dietary factors.

A consultant first diagnosis was inflammation caused by clopidogrel. HP was ruled out as a cause. I don't have acid reflux, just duodenitis, which is odd I thought. I think that suggests it's not diet, because why wouldn't all other areas be inflamed also? The most obvious answer is usually the correct one I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back