Clocks change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Don't forget to change your meter and pump clocks this weekend 🙂

I use Dexcom G6 with a phone App, and as my phone (and watch) change automaticallly, so the only things I need to change are the cooker and the coffee machine.

Don't forget to change your meter and pump clocks this weekend
And remember we're currently at GMT+1 (or UTC+1) and we'll be moving to GMT. So subtract an hour from the clocks (or move them backwards). (Those that need changing by hand, that is. Many things will change automatically, thank goodness.)

And for people new to insulin, take your basal insulin when you usually do and don't worry about the clock change; it's only an hour difference and it only happens twice a year.

Don't forget the spare meter in your car needs the time adjusting too. That is the one that I always forget to change until I need it for a hypo or in a hurry when Libre says I am 3.8 when I know fine well a finger prick will show I am at least 4.5 and of course my levels are potentially dropping as I fiddle to change the date before I test, in order to hopefully not get laid up for an hour due to a hypo.... typically with my shopping in the car defrosting! 🙄

Just as a side note..... how do other people handle that scenario where Libre says you are below 4 but a finger prick almost always shows you are above 4 (my LIbre almost always reads 1mmol below blood) and therefore fit to eat some carbs and drive. Do you pop your hypo treatment and finger prick whilst it is working which seems a bit of a cheat depending upon how long it takes to reach your finger tip..... which of course makes the time setting on your meter all the more crucial, or do you delay the hypo treatment to finger prick.... which is what I usually do. Also, if you get warning signs of a hypo at a BG above 3.9 as I usually do, sometimes as high as 4.5, presumably that isn't classed as a hypo even though I feel a little bit hypo because I have those warning signs? If I am classed as unfit to drive because I have warning signs in the mid to low 4s then that seems odd? Surely having good warning signs should not be penalized? It all seems a bit of a grey area to me. Curious to know how other people approach this situation?

Don't forget the spare meter in your car needs the time adjusting too. That is the one that I always forget to change until I need it for a hypo or in a hurry when Libre says I am 3.8 when I know fine well a finger prick will show I am at least 4.5 and of course my levels are potentially dropping as I fiddle to change the date before I test, in order to hopefully not get laid up for an hour due to a hypo.... typically with my shopping in the car defrosting! 🙄

Just as a side note..... how do other people handle that scenario where Libre says you are below 4 but a finger prick almost always shows you are above 4 (my LIbre almost always reads 1mmol below blood) and therefore fit to eat some carbs and drive. Do you pop your hypo treatment and finger prick whilst it is working which seems a bit of a cheat depending upon how long it takes to reach your finger tip..... which of course makes the time setting on your meter all the more crucial, or do you delay the hypo treatment to finger prick.... which is what I usually do. Also, if you get warning signs of a hypo at a BG above 3.9 as I usually do, sometimes as high as 4.5, presumably that isn't classed as a hypo even though I feel a little bit hypo because I have those warning signs? If I am classed as unfit to drive because I have warning signs in the mid to low 4s then that seems odd? Surely having good warning signs should not be penalized? It all seems a bit of a grey area to me. Curious to know how other people approach this situation?

If unsure always do test bg, thankfully find libre 2 is near enough accurate at both low & high levels so don't have any major issues.

Do find mind occasionally on morning libre may show higher reading & may have done for few hours, once up & something to drink results will be in range with nice smooth graph.

I use Dexcom G6 with a phone App, and as my phone (and watch) change automaticallly, so the only things I need to change are the cooker and the coffee machine.
You must have a meter too for fingerprick backup for hypos that needs changing? Especially important to change your meters if you drive, and may need to prove you tested after a hypo etc.

Fingerprick straight away. If finger says 4.0+ then have a snack and drive as soon as you feel well enough to (which may be immediately if you feel fine with bg in low 4s, or it may mean waiting 10-15 minutes if you're feeling unwell). It doesnt need to be a hypo treatment that you eat though (unless you know you're dropping and need it, or you're feeling unwell), any snack with carbs in will do. Your brain won't be affected enough to need recovery time if you're above 4 though so no need to wait 45 minutes.

Fingerprick straight away. If finger says 4.0+ then have a snack and drive as soon as you feel well enough to (which may be immediately if you feel fine with bg in low 4s, or it may mean waiting 10-15 minutes if you're feeling unwell). It doesnt need to be a hypo treatment that you eat though (unless you know you're dropping and need it, or you're feeling unwell), any snack with carbs in will do. Your brain won't be affected enough to need recovery time if you're above 4 though so no need to wait 45 minutes.
Thanks Lucy. That is what I have been doing but just wondered how other people interpreted it. I usually just find it convenient to have a JB to bring my levels up even when I am not below 4 because they are just 5g carbs each and easy to carry. Most biscuits are 10g or more and that would usually push my levels too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back