clinical trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotchop

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I saw an advert in a National paper today looking for volunteers with type 2.

Has anyone ever considered taking part in them?

http://www.testwiththebest.com/

have you seen how much they are paying!? 😱

It's a pretty penny! 😱 I don't personally fit any of their criteria as I have suspected Gilbert's Syndrome (excluded from one trial) and am not Type 2 (excluded from the other!) I notice that there a lot of trials for neuropathy too. Not sure how I'd feel about potentially losing control over my diabetes, although I know nothing of what these trials entail so perhaps that's unfounded. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been involved.

Gilbert's syndrome was a new one on me. Did you know you share it with Napoleon 1 and JD Salinger?

I would be wary of clinical trials after that fiasco a few years ago.. in saying that they can't all be bad and without them we wouldn't have any advances in medicine.. I participate in non clinical stuff and recently got ?70 to attend a discussion group for a couple of hours.

I would be wary of clinical trials after that fiasco a few years ago.. in saying that they can't all be bad and without them we wouldn't have any advances in medicine.. I participate in non clinical stuff and recently got ?70 to attend a discussion group for a couple of hours.

Yes, that does rather stick in the mind! Although I'm sure they must be even tighter on their monitoring etc. after that happened.

I think that was an earlier stage of testing. I think those were "healthy" volunteers being used to test dosages and observe side effects (big side effect problem obviously), dispite working in pharmacy in London at the time i don't know too much about it. These trials seem to be looking for people with the sorts of things they're trying to treat, which suggests that they have dose and side effect profiles worked out. they've obviously decided one of the drugs can harm the unborn child as they're asking for post menopausal and "sterile" women only. I'm not sure how they work the pay out, i wasn;t aware that you got paid for much more than your travel and expenses and the hope that you would benefit from the research being the reward....dunno, we don't deal with the money.

I would never consider them not for me , but thats just my opinion.

If I was on my own I might, it has to be better than the medical support I get now, but with little feller to think of I am a bit warry incase anything happens.

I'm currently doing one! For a new basal insulin. I have, unfortunately, got the bum deal and am on lantus which is the control insulin. But it's ok! Hard work keping checked in constantly but if it helps the greater good then I'm all for it. I always said if I had diabetes I may as well use it to help future diabetics 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back