Clinic Tomorrow (and a guess the HbA1c!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacredHeart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Evening all.

Well, I have clinic tomorrow. I'm thinking I should go in with a plan of things to ask, rather than just sit and be talked at.

My last A1c was 6.0, coming down from I THINK 8.8, that coming down from 10.8.

However, I've been having a LOT of hypos lately, which is why the current 10 day (at midnight tonight) streak of no hypos has been very confusing. I haven't really done anything different. The hypos were really, REALLY getting me down, because I couldn't seem to do anything to stop them.

I was thinking about asking for a demi-pen, so I could do my boluses in half units. I'm currently on a fixed dose of 2u NovoRapid. They haven't sorted out a carb-to-insulin ratio, because I was told it would be really hard to figure out. At the time I went on the half day carb-counting workshop, I was only on 6u NovoRapid a day, with no Lantus. I now have 2u of Lantus on the daily jab list as well, but as that's still under 10u a day, I don't know whether they'd be willing or able to figure it out for me. At the moment it's SO much guess work. I've worked out that one unit is about 35g of carb, but like I say, that is an educated guess as much as anything else. Any advice would be handy.

I also don't really want to switch to cartridges over flexpens particularly, but I know demi-pens are cartridge only. However, a demi-pen is only any use if they sort out my ratio, I would imagine? :confused:

Anyone got any advice on any of this, want to guess the A1c, or think there's something else I should be asking?

Cheers x

Oh, and if you're interested, there's a new blog post up on my blog for the Day of Hope event. 🙂

Sorry i cant help on the questions bex but wanted to put my twopennys worth on your A1c i'll go 6.3%

good luck tomorrow sweetie xxx and yes i read you blog very well written i might add xx 5.8 🙂

Hiya Becky, I'll go for 6.0. Well done on reducing the hypos, that must be a relief.

Regarding half units, I have two Novopen juiniors (for levemir and novorapid) and I love them! I also don't need much insulin (although more than you!) and if you think about it, taking 2U as you do, the smallest increment you can do is 50% of your dose, which is massive! To put it in perspective, someone who normally took 20U for a meal wouldn't suddenly increase it to 30U! So if instead you could take 1.5U when you were going to exercise afterwards, or 2.5U if it was a large meal, it could give you a lot more flexibility. I don't know anything about flexpens, but cartridges are really easy to use, and more environmentally friendly too perhaps?

I hope it goes well. I use the novopen demi and really like being able to give half units. For the past few days I haven't used more than 10 units of novorapid and I have an insulin to carb ratio, which is 1:20g (or 0.5 per 1 cp), so you might be able to work something out?

Good luck

I'll say 6.3!!!!

Cartridge pens are ace :D I tried using the prefilled ones and hated them...they're still cluttering up my fridge :( (the lantus ones)

Sorry can't help with your question, but will guess at 5.7

My Novorapid is a prefilled pen, and my Levemir is cartridge, personally I prefer the flexpen.. It doesn't take long to change a cartridge but prefer it ready done..

Will say 5.8% for your HbA1c

Personally I have always had cartridge pens. Much easier to carry around a spare, take up less space in the fridge - and not so much waste.

I think you will be a bit lower again - in the 5 club - 5.7?

Well done SacredHeart,

Great results those - all of them - absolutely superb!

Best wishes - John

Great going Becky well done hun be very proud of those hun xxx

Well done, great results 🙂 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back