Clinic today

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiVZ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

Just back from the clinic.

HbA1c is up from 8.3% to 8.7% so I need to work on getting that down again.

Got bloods taken for cholesterol and thyroid (am on thyroxine and just had does increased)

Dr gave me some facts about my last cholesterol test. Aparantely I'm borderline with a total cholesterol level of 5.2. However he said I had a high reading of good cholesterol (HDL?) at 2.3 but my bad cholesterol (LDL?) was also slightly high as well at 2.7 (he said ideally it should be less than 2)

Also said there was slight retinopothy as last retina photos showed some slight bulges in the blood vessels.

Feel like I've just had the dreaded 'must try harder' school report.

NiVZ

Looks like some subtle changes needed to rectify things. I'm interested that the doc considered your cholesterol borderline, given that most doctors seem to think 4.0 is the level to aim for in diabetics. I was down to 2.4 at one point 😱

Hi Northerner,

Yeah - think I'll have to leave the "Forgive me I have sinned" thread alone for a while :(

Docs at my clinic said it should be below 5.0, hence they considered 5.2 being borderline.

Wish they would get things consistent (guidelines, drugs, access to meters/strips, etc)

It's a NATIONAL health service (NHS), not a REGIONAL health service (RHS) 😉

NiVZ

I am also puzzled at the cholesterol thing as my last reading was 4.6 which was fine at the time but since being diagnosed with diabetes my dosage of simvastatin was immediately doubled as 4.6 is too high for a diabetic.

Unless this is another difference between types 1 and 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back