clinic today

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

Went to clinic today and was dreading the hba1c result because Alex has been unwell for weeks and also had growth spurt etc - so it feels like we were having a rougher time than when on MDI.

Last time we had it done he was 9.6!!!! I know - dreadful - but he was on MDI then. So i was expecting them to say it was 11 or so because of the awul unexpected high's etc..I definateley thought it had gone up rather than down.

They made us wait right until the end of the clinic to tell us it was 8! OK - i know this is still too high - but we have been pumping for 3 months now and i am pleasantly surprised that will all that has happened and experimenting etc that it has even reduced!

It is my birthday today - so a nice present! Just hoping that next time we are 7 or under!🙂Bev

Brilliant result, the pumping is definitely working for Alex. I am sure it will be even better next time as I would guess it takes a bit of getting used to.

What a good birthday present.

That's really great news Bev! And I have no doubt it will be lower next time - you have had an awful lot of change and experimentation to contend with - new school, pump, growing boy, illness!

I hope that you enjoy the rest of the day - how does Alex feel about it?🙂

He he - Alex feels very happy about it and wants an hba1c present! It has spurred him on to want to get it under 7 - so that has pleased me!🙂Bev

thats great Bev...all going downwards...so Id say WELL DONE TO YOU ALL

Well done Alex and Bev!

Let's hope you can balance the highs and lows and nudge it every downwards.

Nice and steady though, keep it going in the right direction! :D

Great news, Bev! :D

We at clinic today too but we have to wait for our results - they do not give them on the day. :(

Well done Bev and Alex, and Happy Birthday Bev hope you enjoy the rest of your day. 🙂

Surely when you get the results depends on when blood is taken for HbA1c? Some clinics ask patients to have blood taken at GP surgery or hospital 2 to 3 weeks before clinic appointment so that results will be ready at clinic appointment. I'm not sure how long it takes to test blood for HbA1c, but probably realistically 24 hours to take account of transport to clinic (even if it's only a few metres, there will be regular collections every few hours, not special transport for each sample), documentation, testing, checking, documentation again, transport of results (possibly electronically) etc.

I always get my bloods done a couple of weeks before clinic and get the print out to take to my appointment as different hospital trusts. At my local hospital they can do the finger prick A1c that only takes a few minutes.

Surely when you get the results depends on when blood is taken for HbA1c? Some clinics ask patients to have blood taken at GP surgery or hospital 2 to 3 weeks before clinic appointment so that results will be ready at clinic appointment. I'm not sure how long it takes to test blood for HbA1c, but probably realistically 24 hours to take account of transport to clinic (even if it's only a few metres, there will be regular collections every few hours, not special transport for each sample), documentation, testing, checking, documentation again, transport of results (possibly electronically) etc.

It can either be done in the pathology laboratory as is the practice for my review clinic (that once yearly horror shop) or by using an anlayser, I get this done every time I have a clinic, which requires only a drop of blood obtained by finger prick. When the sample is actually in the lab it has to go through alot before people like myself and my colleagues can even get to testing it. Once in the labs both tests take roughly the same length of time to carry out but if it's done in the lab there are additional steps both before and after the tests. Names and patient numbers have to be checked against the computers, sample integrity has to be checked and finally it has to be loaded onto the appropriate analyser. After the test has been done the results have to be authorised by the BMS's. I've a feeling that the lab test may be a little more accurate than the finger prick test but I don't know that for sure.

Hi Bev and Alex,

Well done to both of you!

Keep working at trying to improve things because it will be well worth the effort.

Best wishes - John

Thanks John,

I would kill to get him in the 5's! I dream of such levels - i am on a mission now to get him under 7 and then 6 and then 5 etc......🙂Bev

I would kill to get him in the 5's! I dream of such levels - i am on a mission now to get him under 7 and then 6 and then 5 etc......🙂Bev

Much the same here, despite the efforts of the past thirteen years it hasn't happened. Eight seems to be the best that I can do, hence my pump madness now. The closest I've come is 8.1% in the past years.

Well done!!! Fab news, im really pleased for you both!

Next one in the 7s . . .:D

Brill news Bev & Alex, and on your birthday Woop Woo!!:D

Don't aim too high (or low!) too quickly take every step at a time, you'll get it down soon. Only 3 months on the pump! You mastered it yet? Is Alex doing much himself?? Sorry you've probably answered all of this in the pumping thread, I don't have much time to go everywhere, perhaps I should!!

Brill news Bev & Alex, and on your birthday Woop Woo!!:D

Don't aim too high (or low!) too quickly take every step at a time, you'll get it down soon. Only 3 months on the pump! You mastered it yet? Is Alex doing much himself?? Sorry you've probably answered all of this in the pumping thread, I don't have much time to go everywhere, perhaps I should!!

Hi Rossi,

Alex does nearly all of the pump himself - unless of course he is sleeping and we get the chance to do it! He wont let us near it! We mostly make the decisions about basals and bolus etc -but he decides on corrections and temp basals at school -what a star! I have just changed one of his basals - so this will make a big difference to his breakfast readings - hopefully anyway.🙂Bev

Thats brill to hear that he's taking control but has you there to assist/ be mum! Happy days:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back