CKD & Potassium Overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Toes"

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have recently added the dubious complication known as CKD or Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 4 to my list:(
I also find it very difficult to adhere to a Diabetic Friendly AND Kidney Kind eating regemin.
There ARE websites to visit & forums to join, but was wondering if anyone here has the same issues and wondered how best they handle it.

Anyone here in the same boat? Just wondered.:confused:

Thanks in advance for your kindness.🙂

Hi "Toes", sorry it's not something that I have any experience of. Will the normal 'healthy' diabetic diet contain things that would not be good for the stressed kidneys? I would have thought that the two conditions are often co0existent, as one is a possible complication of the other, so there must be people out there who have experience of both. I hope you can find someone to help🙂

Greetings & Thank you for respodning. My case is a bit unique specifically in respect to the fact that I have to now eliminate moderate or high potassium foods & many unfortunately contradict the "normal" foods we as diabetics are allowed."For instance" white bread as opposed to multi grain bread..or brown rice as opposed to white rice..where both "white" versions are obviously NOT the preferred in a diabetic diet...there are very high in potassium. Many foods that "help" one condition.."Harm" the other.:( The high potassium condition is referred to as hyperkelimia.
I have seen the renal dietician who merely handed me a list of low/moderate/high foods with their potassium content...which incidentally was something I had already downloaded from an internet kidney site.🙄
I would like to connect with someone succestfully dealing with the same scenario...some insight..some help...support if you will. Just wondered if I would be able to find a kindred soul here😉
Again...thank you...who knows..maybe someone will surface🙂

The problem with the standard "diabetic friendly" diet is that it makes no allowances for diabetes at all in the first place. Its just the same old standard dietary advice given to everyone. The professional body for dieticians still advises diabetics to "base your meals around starchy carbohydrates" apparently ignoring the slightly important fact that carbohydrates are what raise blood glucose (BG).

However, many T2s find that a reduction in carbohydrate consumption and by managing the Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) of the carbs they do eat, gives a more tolerable diet while keeping BG levels under control.

However, there is still a problem. Protein. Those who eat a reduced amount of carbohydrate tend to eat an increased quantity of protein. Protein consumption needs to be minimised for people with kidney problems.

So it would seem that the approach for those with kidney problems and diabetes would need to be a managed approach to carbohydrates both in quantity and type of carbs, without going too high on protein.

Now I am not sure how many of these have a significant potassium content, but they are low/zero carb veggies, which you could bulk up on.
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/free-veggies

Hope thats of some use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back