Circulation problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lydia1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
There appears to be a heaviness and weakness in my legs. I can feel the ground beneath quite expressly which I wasn't doing so before. Don't have any ulcers, sores. Am obese, over 11 stone at 5ft 1 ins. Been this size for decades without these symptoms.

My diabetes is under good control and I try and exercise and eat well. Have just brought a meter and am finding out how to use this, being up mostly during the darker hours of the morning. So worried about PAD?

Had a private health test for PAD in February. The result was 1.33 ratio, reading 0.9, both deemed acceptable. Energy muscles and bones were all within standard range. So given a green flag. So is it likely to be related to PAD and, if not, any suggestions as to what it can be..?

I'm not familiar with the symptoms of PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease), Lydia - did they offer any suggestions as to what it might be if not PAD at your assessment? Is it something that came on suddenly, or gradually?

Just checking online regarding the ankle brachial index result. It says that a ratio between 1.0-1.44 indicates no blockage, but my ratio is 1.33, so that's quite close to 1.44, so worried with that one.

And a reading of 0.9 or less, which is the number I was tested at, indicates narrowing of the arteries in the legs, although both these scores were written up as acceptable in my private health report. Also, I read that atherosclerosis can cause PAD too, which I also have.

Think I need to speak to this website's helpline, and maybe make an appointment with my doctor. I have a meter now, was told I didn't need one by my GP, because my diabetes type 2 was under good control, but this test would seem to indicate differently.

I know I need to do more exercise and am trying to introduce that more into my lifestyle. Also, once I work out when and how to test with strips etc, I can better monitor my blood glucose levels, which will help me.

Be cautious about trusting the professionals seems to be what the members on this forum seem to be suggesting..

Just checking online regarding the ankle brachial index result. It says that a ratio between 1.0-1.44 indicates no blockage, but my ratio is 1.33, so that's quite close to 1.44, so worried with that one.

And a reading of 0.9 or less, which is the number I was tested at, indicates narrowing of the arteries in the legs, although both these scores were written up as acceptable in my private health report. Also, I read that atherosclerosis can cause PAD too, which I also have.

Think I need to speak to this website's helpline, and maybe make an appointment with my doctor. I have a meter now, was told I didn't need one by my GP, because my diabetes type 2 was under good control, but this test would seem to indicate differently.

I know I need to do more exercise and am trying to introduce that more into my lifestyle. Also, once I work out when and how to test with strips etc, I can better monitor my blood glucose levels, which will help me.

Be cautious about trusting the professionals seems to be what the members on this forum seem to be suggesting..
Yes, do contact the help line - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/helpline - and fix up an appointment with your GP. I hope you can get to the bottom of it, and that it turns out to be something easily treated 🙂 Have a read of Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S to learn how to test efficiently and effectively 🙂

Thanks for this, Northerner. Much appreciated. I will ring that helpline to get some advice before seeing if I need to see a doctor. And thanks for the link to Alan S blog. Will give that a read too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back