Ciprofloxacin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets is the second of two antibiotics I have been prescribed as an alternative to Co-trimoxazole which caused me so many problems. I have never come across it before. Does anybody have experience of this?

Ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets is the second of two antibiotics I have been prescribed as an alternative to Co-trimoxazole which caused me so many problems. I have never come across it before. Does anybody have experience of this?

Cipro as it’s more commonly called is from a group of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. Personally I’ve very wary of this group of antibiotics due to their well documented risk in causing tendon rupture and other serious issues in some people. If you google them you’ll see the wealth of information on this. They carry a black box warning as a result and should only be given for very serious, more resistant infections. There have been a lot of class legal actions in the States against the manufacturers.
They can be very effective but need to be used with caution. The following advice is very important;

😱

I have had cipro on 3 occasions, each for severe attacks of Diverticulitis. I found I had nastye side effects, but they did clear up my attacks. Ironically, since being diagnosed diabetic, and eating a low carb, healthier diet I haven't had an attack for years.

I will only start the Doxycycline today if they arrive as if I get a nasty side effect I will not know the cause. It seems as you climb the antibiotic tree the side effects get nastier! :(

I will only start the Doxycycline today if they arrive as if I get a nasty side effect I will not know the cause. It seems as you climb the antibiotic tree the side effects get nastier! :(
I would discuss your Cipro concerns with your GP Mikey. There may be an alternative with less risks. Sadly, I have a friend whose Achilles tendons snapped after the first dose of them and she’s now very involved with supporting on an online support forum for people disabled by fluoroquinolones. It’s a very busy site!

These were stopped when I saw the consultant in the Foot Clinic today as they were aggrevating Trigger Finger. Happy I was listened to as the press on with Co-trimoxazole was a disaster! :(

These were stopped when I saw the consultant in the Foot Clinic today as they were aggrevating Trigger Finger. Happy I was listened to as the press on with Co-trimoxazole was a disaster! :(
A friend had trigger finger and she saw the physio who identified the main problem was how she was using the mouse as she was holding the problem finger in an awkward position. She reconfigured the mouse so the left button was the right so she was holding the mouse the other way round and the finger was supported. She said it was much improved.

I see they have been stopped now for probable side effects, but I have taken these several years ago for an antibiotic- resistant ear infection that showed as sensitive to cipro. I wasn't really on much else then though (apart from they also prescribed the good co-codamol due to the pain of the ear infection)

Mine worse finger
A friend had trigger finger and she saw the physio who identified the main problem was how she was using the mouse as she was holding the problem finger in an awkward position. She reconfigured the mouse so the left button was the right so she was holding the mouse the other way round and the finger was supported. She said it was much improved.

My worse finger in the left ring finger and I was waking with it nearly curled into the palm with the fingers either side half way there. Thank you for the thought of but I used the muse with my right with the left mainly coming in for eating and propelling the wheelchairb+the trigger finger mak

I actually did not take it yesterday morning as I find some of the Patient Transport Transport ambulances slightly nauseating on longer trips (different configs - suspension, view out, air con and heating, etc.) and take the antibiotics when I am home as they seem to make things worse. But this morning my ring finger is virtually flat. It also is only aching slightly as opposed to being painful! Let's see what tomorrow brings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back