Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anybody experience of this antibiotic. I am halfway through a two week course (injury on stumpy). My BGs are getting quite erratic and I have little appetite. Other antibiotics, like Amoxicillin, have been fine.

Is it the cipro or is it the underlying infection it's treating which is screwing things?

I have had this drug many, many times. Its quite a harsh drug & it affects my blood sugars (making them high)
I'm not sure if you know this but you must stay out of direct sunlight (causes severe skin burn and/or prickly heat) avoid iron, milk & omeprazole type medicines.
I'm quite sick on this drug but my dose is 1g 3x daily so a high dose.

I don’t want to sound alarmist but I have it written into my medical notes that I never want to be given a fluoroquinolone antibiotic which Ciprofloxacin is.

It’s a well used antibiotic (more so in the USA) but there is a FDA ‘black box warning’ as to its use due to unpredictable side effects. My friend was prescribed it for a respiratory infection and her Achilles’ tendon snapped. She now runs an international group supporting patients similarity affected. Tendon damage is well documented with fluoroquinolone use and there’s a number of class actions against the manufacturer in the States.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/d...ension-restrictions-quinolone-fluoroquinolone

There are times when it absolutely has to be this class of antibiotics but all others would have to be unsuccessful for me to use them I’m afraid.

The FDA have also issued guidance on the adverse issues on people with diabetes from taking fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safe...low-blood-sugar-levels-and-mental-health-side

I agree it causes Achilles problems. My friend also had problems after using it but, my friend like me have had it for many years as its the only oral people with CF can use.
My mum has it often too at high doses & thankfully has had no side effects apart from sickness.
I think its about weighing up the risks V benefits & sometimes, in many cases, we have to take Cipro for the 2 weeks.
If you are worried about carrying on with cipro you can ask to take its sister drug levofloxacin. Again it is a Fluroquinolone but less problematic than cipro & it deals with same bacteria.

I have had this drug many, many times. Its quite a harsh drug & it affects my blood sugars (making them high)
I'm not sure if you know this but you must stay out of direct sunlight (causes severe skin burn and/or prickly heat) avoid iron, milk & omeprazole type medicines.
I'm quite sick on this drug but my dose is 1g 3x daily so a high dose.

All makes sense. Last night my evening BG was fine but bedtime one was as if I had had two meals which would be a struggle as I have little appetite.

And an hour ago I woke with a hypo. My BGs are everywhere with this!

From the US National Library of Medicine, (NCBI):
Fluoroquinolones have been associated with hypoglycemia in patients taking diabetic medications, most commonly due to drug-drug interactions and other associated risk factors. Except for four published case reports, there are no studies that have found positive associations between ciprofloxacin and hypoglycemia. In all but one of the cases, ciprofloxacin was taken with other hypoglycemic drugs.

If it was me, would definitely be on the phone to my Doc about this. Possibly even A&E?

Only two little evil pills left! My trigger finger is worse so I tape it to the others overnight. Will definitely question it if prescribed again as had Co-Amoxiclav last time with no issues!

And tomorrow afternoon a coffee with cow's milk! ☕ or two ☕☕even!

Only two little evil pills left! My trigger finger is worse so I tape it to the others overnight. Will definitely question it if prescribed again as had Co-Amoxiclav last time with no issues!

And tomorrow afternoon a coffee with cow's milk! ☕ or two ☕☕even!

I was on ciprofloxacin for 21 days - it messed my BG, I had random ankle area pain that I now know was because it was affecting my Achilles and it also messed my liver function to the extent that I had to have multiple repeat bloods and was considered possible non-alcoholic liver cirrhosis and I'm only 25 and rarely drink alcohol, with no traces of a fatty liver.
So please be careful. Somehow though, I found eating cucumber resolved most of the side effects. I'd eat 1 large one a day and I just got my blood results and everything is back to normal xx

I was on ciprofloxacin for 21 days - it messed my BG, I had random ankle area pain that I now know was because it was affecting my Achilles and it also messed my liver function to the extent that I had to have multiple repeat bloods and was considered possible non-alcoholic liver cirrhosis and I'm only 25 and rarely drink alcohol, with no traces of a fatty liver.
So please be careful. Somehow though, I found eating cucumber resolved most of the side effects. I'd eat 1 large one a day and I just got my blood results and everything is back to normal xx

The problem now seems the loss of appetite is continuing. I felt quite queasy last night to the extent I did a LFT - fortunately negative. It seems you might have to be careful introducing dairy. The trigger finger seems to be easing so I would call it a drug of concern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back