Cigarette packet law 'would save lives'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All the evidence suggests standardised cigarette packs would save lives by reducing the number of people who start smoking, the journal Addiction reports.

Its summary of the scientific evidence suggests stopping one in 20 people from taking up the habit would save 2,000 lives in the UK each year.

MPs are expected to vote in March and any law could come into force in 2016.

Tobacco manufactures said the measure had not made a difference in Australia since it was introduced in 2012.

MPs will vote on legislation in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will decide separately on whether to implement any change in the law. Wales has already said it will press ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31439211

I think the current round of adverts showing the bloke nipping out for a smoke and the fag suppurating with something horrendous, obviously meant to be the Big C - is a far far better way of turning anyone off.

I'm a hardened addict, and even I turn away from the telly when that one's on.

Nearly everyone I see smoking these days seems to smoking rollups, no doubt transferring the tobacco from the pouch into their own pouch or tin after purchase. Anything that dissuades kids from starting it up in the first place is good. When I started 8/10 of my mates smoked also, good that it is far less than that these days 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back