Cigarette package law to be brought forward before election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The government has said it will press ahead with the introduction of non-branded cigarette packaging in England, introducing legislation before May's general election.

It follows a series of public consultations on the issue.

Public Health Minister Jane Ellison told MPs the move was likely to have a positive impact on public health, particularly for children.

It could prove a decisive step to a "smoke-free generation", she said.

Doctors say the move would save thousands of lives, and health campaigners have expressed concerns about it being delayed until after the 7 May vote.

But the BBC's health editor Hugh Pym said the changes could come into force as soon as 2016 if Parliament passes legislation before the end of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30926973

I'm amazed really that kids and teens etc are beguiled by packaging. OK I know I liked the comparative sophistication of the du Maurier pack when I was a teen, it was after all coral pink with silver writing - but they were about the same taste as Gold Leaf or Senior Service tipped or Players tipped but for more money, so that little fad didn't last long.

What the hell is considered sophisticated these days ?

Or 'hard' if they are lads ?

I know most of you won't smoke, but I am intrigued by this really !

I don't see that packaging will make much difference. Except if someone offered me one - I'd really want to know beforehand if it was a Capstan Full Strength or a Silk Cut, before I accepted or declined!

It's amazing what they've done with cigarettes over the years. I remember once that they started putting little holes in the tips so you would draw more air in and less smoke. Then there was that whole tobacco substitute thing - anyone remember that? It was late '70s and I worked part time in a newsagents. The 'real cigarettes' each had a 'substitute' version. That didn't last long! Then there were the DIY ones where you could buy 'empty' cigarettes and tobacco, and used a little gadget to stuff the tobacco into the tube - I had one of those 🙂

When I was a teen it was Russian Sobranie or Peter Stuyvesant that were the 'sophisticated' ones.

They should put "Kill Sticks" on packets 🙂 The cost of them too !

Being slightly asthmatic and prone to lungfuls of horrible catarrh every time I get a cold, I really can't understand why people want to fill their lungs with a load of toxic chemicals that don't need to be there 😱

i watched my grandad die slowly over several years due to the effects of - well - he never smoked that much - but he played in a jazz band in pubs and clubs all his life -this was 20 years before jonny castle died id guess. It put me off - never tried one and hate the things.

I think the gruesome photos of mouth cancers, grotty teeth etc etc might have an effect. Teenagers think they will live forever, and deaths from smoking generally come from heart attacks from age 50s onwards and lung cancers a bit older, so that's far too far ahead for them to consider, but perhaps photos of parts of younger people looking horrible might work for some?

However, I've heard that in Australia, which already has plain packages, youngsters like to show off gruesome packs, saying it won't happen to them, plus there have been counterfeit packs, not copying existing brands, but non existant "brands" so packs look nicer.

Still, anything that stops some young people from starting smoking has got to be good.

I'll be honest that I've never been a smoker, although did roll and smoke a few as a teeager, but never liked it. Plus I couldn't have afforded to travel spo much if I'd smoked.

crumbs - jonny - where did i get that from lol - was a little bit low this morning with my bloods 4.3 lol - dunno if that affected my memory. Damn good excuse though ill have to use it more often for my wife ' sorry love i was sposed to do what ? must be low sugar levels'
not convinced it will work tho she is too canny.

crumbs - jonny - where did i get that from lol - was a little bit low this morning with my bloods 4.3 lol - dunno if that affected my memory. Damn good excuse though ill have to use it more often for my wife ' sorry love i was sposed to do what ? must be low sugar levels'
not convinced it will work tho she is too canny.

Made me smile Banjo ! I will try it as well :D

I was in Hosp once & being a helpful type I give this bloke in a wheel chair a push because he wanted to go outside. Me thinking he wanted some fresh air. He had just been for a big op on his legs. REMOVED 😱 I could not believe he lit a Ciggy. ( His legs where removed because of smoking) That affected me & I thought what I have done pushing him to the front door. 😱 The nurses told me he had don't it a few times with others. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back