Chronic pain 'may be inherited'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Four common chronic pain conditions share a genetic element, suggesting they could - at least in part - be inherited diseases, say UK researchers.

The four include irritable bowel syndrome, musculoskeletal pain, pelvic pain and dry eye disease.

The study of more than 8,000 sets of twins found the ailments were common in identical pairs sharing the same DNA.

The King's College London team say the discovery could ultimately help with managing these debilitating diseases.

While environmental factors probably still play a role in the four conditions, genes could account for as much as two-thirds of someone's chances of developing the disease, they believe.

They told the journal Pain that more research is needed to pinpoint the precise genes involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27482574

My mum was a pain in the butt.

I sincerely hope that's not inheritable !

It could well be Trophy. These days when I look in the mirror, I see my mum and when I speak I hear her. I find myself saying and doing things I always swore I wouldn't because they annoyed me so much when mum did them. I think it's called growing up. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back