Christmas is coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

Anybody have any ideas on hw to make christmas diabetes friendly? (My 1st christmas since finding out.)

Every year my hubby buys me a box of chocs, might send him to Boots instead.

How do you resist the temptation, when surrounded by sweets, mince pies, christmas pudding, cake etc.

Thinking of making my own mincemeat for mince pies, does anyone have any recipes?

Thanks Rach

PS. Brill site, great to find people who understand, my hubby tries to but doesn't understand.

just so long as nobody wastes money on "diabetic" chocolate, saw a prominent display when i was in boots yesterday... you might be ok with the box of chocolates if you eat them in moderation, maybe one or two a day after a meal

Hello Rach

Like you I'm trying to think of ways to make Christmas (and my husband's birthday shortly after) diabetes friendly. I'm just about to go and bake a celebration cake from Stella Bowling's "The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook" which also has recipes for Mak-At-Home Mincement, Mince Pies and Mini Christmas Puddings. I haven't tried these myself but have used quite a lot of her recipes with very good results so far so may be worth a look. You can pick it up from Diabetes UK, Amazon, Waterstones et cetera

Resistance when out takes much will power though - I find it better not to give into tempation in the first place as find it difficult to stop after just "a little taster" so at parties wander round with something on the plate and then feed it to my husband!

Here's hoping the cake turns out ok - if it is, will be testing it out on my book group on Thursday evening and won't tell them that it is "diabetic friendly". If not, my husband will be getting extra in his pack ups for a few days

Vanessa

Hi Everyone,

Anybody have any ideas on hw to make christmas diabetes friendly? (My 1st christmas since finding out.)

How do you resist the temptation, when surrounded by sweets, mince pies, christmas pudding, cake etc.

Thinking of making my own mincemeat for mince pies, does anyone have any recipes?

Thanks Rach

PS. Brill site, great to find people who understand, my hubby tries to but doesn't understand.
Hi, Welcome to the club, Just remember you can have anything you like, just dont swallow, no only jokeing, You can eat anything but just keep an eye on the amounts.

Thanks, a few books have been mentioned on this site. Might have a look in borders.

Rach

Thank you so much for this thread. It's my first Christmas since being told I was T2 and I was wondering what to do. Just had mother-in-law on the phone asking the same question as we're spending Christmas with her this year. Thank god for this forum - where would we all be. 🙂

I personally think it doesnt hurt to eat anything once in a while. Life would be so boring without the odd treat! 😉

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Rach

Hi Rach, its nice to know that i'm not the only one who's other half does'nt understand about diabetes, mine does'nt even try to understand if he did he would'nt keep bringing choc bars and all yummy things into the house ! ROTTEN GIT ! HA HA LOL ! lynn x

From another insulin user, I will be over indulging with everyone else and increasing my novorapid. I was working last christmas day so actually had great blood sugars.
I don't get chocolates for christmas anymore, but likewise lucky to have never suffered being brought 'diabetic' chocolates.

Chocolates

just so long as nobody wastes money on "diabetic" chocolate, saw a prominent display when i was in boots yesterday... you might be ok with the box of chocolates if you eat them in moderation, maybe one or two a day after a meal

Unfortunately for Type 2 diet controlled its not quite as easy as don't buy the diabetic chocolate - I've found the Thornton's chocolates are great -- they taste just like an ordinary chocolate and they don't cause any mischief to my levels. It would be so much harder without these sugar free treats available. Maybe when I end up on the tablets then I can go back to ordinary chocolates - Thornton's of course.

just be sensible

Hi
I have seen 32 xmas's as a diabetic type 1, and if you are sensible and eat in moderation and this will be my 33rd xmas as a diabetic. It shouldnt be no worse than anyone else. Moderation is the magic word here dont be silly dont pig out... I love my food and just be sensible...🙂

the point is that most if not all diabetic chocolate contains sugar just not the usual sort found in sweets... can use fructose etc but if you look at the packaging you will generally find that it contains the same amount of calories and be a lot more expensive

see this link

I just take a holiday from living with diabetes and enjoy myself. I figure one or two days of being high is not going to do too much harm. Although having said that, I am another one who can increase the insulin dose to help a bit.

"I'm just about to go and bake a celebration cake from Stella Bowling's "The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook" which also has recipes for Mak-At-Home Mincement, Mince Pies and Mini Christmas Puddings. I haven't tried these myself but have used quite a lot of her recipes with very good results so far so may be worth a look. You can pick it up from Diabetes UK, Amazon, Waterstones et cetera Vanessa

This book is brilliant, and these recipes are easy to follow (although washing glace cherries is a sticky nuisance) and tasty. I've been using it for the last few years for my mincemeat, mince pies - I use 1/2 white and 1/2 wholemeal flour for the mince pies, I don't recommend all wholemeal - christmas cake (called a "celegration cake" in the book) and christmas pudding. I use my slow cooker to cook the pudding overnight.

I took mince pies and the cake last year to my husband's family for christmas dinner and all his non-diabetic relatives were scoffing away.

In terms of diabetic chocolates - umm, the Thorntons ones have a laxative effect due to their ingredients so unless you eat one a day for ages, I wouldn't recommend them!
________
HONDA CBX SERIES HISTORY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back