Christmas Drinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As its that time of year im wanting to be able to enjoy a tipple or two with my family and friends and because im trying to sort my bloods etc out and get a better HBA1c I dont want to ruin it by sending them sky high with drinking sugary alcohol, so i was wondering if there are alcohol drinks that are better than others?

Obviously not to get sloshed but just for a few as im not sure what is the best to drink?

have a look here emzi

http://www.thedietchannel.com/AskTh...ohol-Consumption-Guidelines-for-diabetics.htm

ALSO FOUND THIS:

if a diabetic chooses to consume an alcoholic beverage, these are the guidelines they should follow:
*Always drink alcohol with food. Since alcohol can make blood sugar levels plummet, it is best to enjoy a drink as part of a meal. Never drink on an empty stomach.
*Remember that alcohol does have calories, and this should be taken into account when electing to have a drink. If you are struggling with your weight as part of diabetes, be sure to pay special attention to this.
*It is suggested to stick with simple drinks (beer or wine) instead of mixed drinks, where unless you are mixing yourself, you will have no control over how much of what has gone into your cocktail. This can seriously affect the amount of sugar in the drink.
*If you use insulin, keep your alcohol use to two drinks a day. (A drink is generally accepted as 12 ounces of beer, 1.5 ounces of 80 proof spirits, or 5 ounces of wine.) If you do not control your diabetes with insulin, stick to one drink only occasionally, especially if your triglyceride levels are high.
*Intoxication and hypoglycemia often have the same symptoms. If you are having a hypo, someone might just assume you have had too much to drink. They may not know what steps to take to help you if they assume you are “just drunk” and are waiting for it to wear off. It’s best to drink with someone who knows your condition, for this precise reason!
*Double check that any medication you may be on can be taken if you have consumed alcohol.
*Diabetics should check with their doctor to see if he or she would agree that alcohol would be an acceptable choice. Alcohol affects certain diabetics in different ways, and a discussion about alcohol and your specific condition should be planned with your medical team.

Last edited:
Can't add to steffs advice except to say relax, drink sensibly and have fun. Mineral or tonic water look like they might have gin in them, so you don't have to consume large ammounts of alcohol if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back