Christmas Decs making me wish i hadnt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So spent friday evening and saturday putting up our xmas decs. So made adjustments to my basal, and bolus ratios. All ok until Saturday night when i had a very fast drop 45 minutes after dinner. Now all my hard work has gone out of the window a bolus timings also altered quite abit and now im lost again. And as for lunchtime it hard enough as it is to guage. I feel i cant face this ay my age for the rest of my life.

Try not to let it bother you too much...no one has perfect blood sugars, and everyones sugars go wrong every now and then - i know mind did today. Can't be helped!
I prefer just to eat sweets as i go when doing excercise to keep me topped up, but eveyone has their own ways.
Your hard work very much hasn't gone out of the window, its just how bs are

I know. I just can't seem to get out of this rutt.

What is wrong with the doses you used before decorating your house? They didn’t work when you were very active. Learn and move on.
As has been said before, learn from trends not one off.
You know your usual dosing works when less active but not when active (or for a day or two afterwards). So you need to learn what is the best way to handle active days.
In your position, I would
- not beat myself up
- go back to my working dose for less active days
- document an idea for next active day
- not beat myself up
- trial my active plan next time I am active and review
- not beat myself up
- not expect perfection
- not beat myself up
- be confident I will find a way forward
- consider only trends and not get hung up on one-off days
- not beat myself up
- know I can do this but it will take more learning
- not beat myself up

No, this is what diabetes does @gillrogers It’s annoyingly normal. The best advice I got was not to dwell on a ‘bad’ result. Analyse, adjust if necessary and move on.

Type 1 isn’t a lovely, well-trained eager to please dog, it’s an unpredictable toddler! Treat it as such and don’t let it get to you.

You can do the same things, with the same doses, with thr same foid, 2 days in a row and get different results.
Just blame the diabetes fairy...

Ah @gillrogers :(

((((((hugs))))) to you.

We get it. It IS so frustrating to have to keep rebalancing things, when you’ve only just tweaked them :( :( :(

Be kind to yourself, and try to take a breather.

Some times the changes make sense, and you can predict that you’ll need to make an adjustment… sometimes your diabetes will behave illogically, change the rules, or throw you a curveball.

Sometimes I find it easier to just firefight for a short-lived change, and only commit to a doses/settings change if I can see a pattern that looks like it will be hanging around.

Hang in there @gillrogers - we are rooting for you.

Firefighting is definitely a very good short term strategy. (Long term it is frustrating but you shouldn't need to do it long term because once a pattern emerges you figure out what to adjust. Don't change anything in a moment of panic. Just look out for it happening next time and be prepared with your hose.... be it delivering a few fast acting carbs or a bit of insulin.

How low did you drop? And what did you treat the drop with?

What did you eat for that meal? Was it quite a fatty meal or a large meal that slowed the digestion down more than usual? Could it have been that in combination with the exertion of putting up the decorations?

Firefighting is definitely a very good short term strategy. (Long term it is frustrating but you shouldn't need to do it long term because once a pattern emerges you figure out what to adjust. Don't change anything in a moment of panic. Just look out for it happening next time and be prepared with your hose.... be it delivering a few fast acting carbs or a bit of insulin.

How low did you drop? And what did you treat the drop with?

What did you eat for that meal? Was it quite a fatty meal or a large meal that slowed the digestion down more than usual? Could it have been that in combination with the exertion of putting up the decorations?
Hi Barbera, i dropped 4mmol in 25 mins. Didnt hypo but non the less it was very fast and again glucose stopped it after eating just ovrr a units worth in insulin and i didnt go put of range. Meal was nothing I've not had before. It was a combination of bolus and basal and activity.

Now im fighting the upward battle as doesn't come back as fast as it drops , bolus timings are the slowest

Im getting its normal behaviour for Diabetes. Think after 45 odd years of having normality to having to learn this with very little support i struggle.

I was 55 when I was diagnosed so yes, it is a big change but once you accept and embrace it, life is just the same with addition planning and a few hiccups here and there. The support I have had, has mostly been here on this forum. This is where I learn about how to manage my diabetes in practical terms and experimenting on myself to see what works for me. The DAFNE course was good because I got to spend time with other Type 1s for a week but it taught me very little I didn't already know. It probably made me realise that I know a lot more than people who have had diabetes a lot of years and I think that gave me confidence.

Is it that you panic when you see a vertical downward arrow on your Libre? Dropping 4 mmols in 25 mins is not something to panic about. I do that most mornings although I have to wait 20mins before it starts to shift at all. For me it is a relief to see it dropping. I get sick of waiting for it. 🙄

Hi Barbera, i dropped 4mmol in 25 mins. Didnt hypo but non the less it was very fast and again glucose stopped it after eating just ovrr a units worth in insulin and i didnt go put of range. Meal was nothing I've not had before. It was a combination of bolus and basal and activity.

Now im fighting the upward battle as doesn't come back as fast as it drops , bolus timings are the slowest

Im getting its normal behaviour for Diabetes. Think after 45 odd years of having normality to having to learn this with very little support i struggle.
Hi gillrogers, like you and rebrascora I was diagnosed at a later age, 52 and it is daunting sometimes that this is now for the long run. I've had a topsy turvy week with bolus taking longer to act and a graph like the Alps when it's generally been more calm sea!! It's hard not to think "what have I done" but it just sometimes makes no sense and you carry on and hope to get back to those calm seas again soon. Wishing you the best and as everyone has said be kind to yourself x

I was diagnosed a little earlier, in my mid 30s.
So, maybe the fear of something new wasn’t there at the time.
However, the concern wasn’t “this is it for the long run” but was more “I am really glad I didn’t have to go through school, university, etc. with this.”
The advantage of being diagnosed later is the years without diabetes.

Must admit I always feel lucky to have had 52 years before D but may well have another 52 if I look after myself!!

Well, exactly Wonky! I was 22 and I also thanked heaven I'd been able to get through school, teens, getting a boyfriend, done our courting, disco-ing, drinking, late night curry eating, buying a house, marrying the boyfriend etc without diabetes. That was over 51 years ago, so a lot less of my life without, than since.

Doesn't define me, never has. Just one of the things about me, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back