Cholesterol Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm interested to know what levels of cholesterol forum members have as mine is worrying me.

I'm interested to know what levels of cholesterol forum members have as mine is worrying me.

Mine was 3.4 when tested six months ago and 3.7 just recently, both of which my surgery were happy with.

My last one was 4.5 and I've got another one coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll be quite happy if it stays around that mark, although the doctors do like for diabetics to get it below 4. I was on statins but I stopped taking them about a year ago because my levels dropped to 2.4 and no-one would tell me if there was a safe lower limit (we all need cholesterol to live!). From reading up on things I discovered that I have a very, very slightly increased risk of heart disease with higher cholesterol, but it's all statistics. With my 2.4 I was at higher risk of a stroke!

I told my doctor that I had stopped taking statins and she was not overly concerned by my 4.5. As far as I know, cholesterol can fluctuate, so the reading doesn't necessarily reflect what you are all the time, also as with all humans, some will naturally have higher levels than others.

Total Chol: 4.9 Chol

With a decent helping of 1.7HDL (35%) to 2.9LDL and Trigs at 0.7

My total cholesterol is all over the shop at the moment. One day its 6.2mmol/L, then 3 months later around 4.7, then back up to 7.1 and now back to 5.3 again. Frankly, I'm a bit lost about it all and am not getting any really good advice (other than being pressured to start taking statins).

My HDL cholesterol is stubbornly low at between 0.8 and 1.0 no matter what I do. I exercise regularly and now eat plenty of oily fish, but if anything it's getting 'worse'.

This is NOT a good subject for me! :D

Andy

p.s. Oh and my triglycerides are fine (at consistently around 1.3mmol/L)!

Last edited:
Mine was usually around 4.1/4.2. It has gone down to 3.4 since I was put on statins but I suspect they are causing extra aches and pains. With sciatica, some arthritis and a circulation problem in the leg it is hard to tell where the pain comes from sometimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back